Back in the day!

Started by Harthus, September 08, 2012, 08:47:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harthus

Open thread to everyone who reads them. Post below your own back in the day snippet as it concerns to Ultima Online. It can be based on a memory, game mechanic that isnt around anymore, etc.

Sheesh Back in the day you could block off cave entrances with chests and no one would be able to enter till you moved them or they decayed. Made mining safer with all the pks running around.

Lucian Darkfire

Sheesh back in the day you used to find magics on monsters not craft them, hehe.

Foray

No follower slots, tamers with 20+ Nightmares and a dozen or so dragons at the same time (despite the denials, this was a common thing for many high level tamers, the limiting factor was the number of high level tamers).

Spamable Blade Spirits, and some groups (certainly not my orc clan) using this to lockdown all manner of locations.

Original weapon special moves being chance on hit rather than by choice.

Disarm thieves who used the stuck character option before it got nerfed.

Cleaver Assassins, insta killing all but the toughest of tank builds in one or two hits (the assassins attacked from stealth). Killing the tanks in 2 hits and a poison tick.

People soloing Destard and other locations regularly (and legit) back when according to most this was not possible.

People treating every patch as the end of the world and jumping ship.

Any type of poison = a death sentance

Cpt_Starfox

Back in the day you could turn a ship through another ship and swipe the people off the other ship onto your ship! I used to do this in a sort of RP pirate game.

Back in the day you could gate monsters into town. When I was still new to UO this was done near the Brit bank and seemed to kill a great many people. I think it was on my first visit to Brit having ventured from my home town of Skara Brae that someone did this. It scared me so badly I don't think I ventured back to Brit for quite a while afterward! LOL

Back in the day being a shepherd was a profitable business! I did this too hehe. I seem to remember people hording insanely huge sheep flocks in various areas just for this.

Back in the day (or maybe just the shard I played) I seem to remember that you had to save up a ton of boards and supplies and such to build your houses. I think you also needed to hire a carpenter. I don't know that I ever was able to do this. I think I was always staying with friends.

I seem to also remember that back in the day begging for armor and such from travelers passing through your home town was common. Maybe this still is on some shards; I don't know lol.

Back in the day what was a weapon special? I don't think they existed at first where I was lol!

Those were the days! Good thing they *were* the days hehe ;)

ShadowMoon

Back in the day, you could stack tables onto each other and teleport to the top one and walk to the roof of someones house and fall through and steal everything they owned...it happened to me.

Back in the day you could tame a sheep bring it back to your house and lock it in there and then shave them every few hours for wool. My ex did this with like 20 sheep, and would constantly sell the wool for money.

Back in the day there was only Felucca and guild wars were awesome.

Crimson

Back in the day when you started out with a practice sword that stayed in your pack even after death unless you removed it or trashed it. I would watch Karina infiltrate people at the bank in Brit with a little trick he learned. He played a character named Killer which was a rogue/thief. He would apply deadly poison to his practice sword & would fight a guild member at the brit bank (not with sword) until he died & he would have his corpse baited with a few simple shinies. After quickly getting resurrected he would run back to the bank & his guild mate would pretend to loot his corpse to bait another player into looting it. Once the other player would loot the corpse they would immediately turn grey making it so anyone could attack them. Karina would then take the opportunity to attack the player (still in death robes, but brandishing his poisoned practice sword) once hit the deadly poison would do the rest of the work on the player. It was hilarious watching the other player scrambling to put their armor & loot into the bank before they died (and they died in mere seconds). Once dead he would open his bank and loot everything from the player since their corpse was grey & lootable by anyone. The other player would then run to get a rez but if they didn't wait to turn green before getting a rez they would die numerous times trying to retrieve their corpse. Sometimes there would be numerous suckers to this trick at once & he made a killing on the loot doing this. A few of those players would go after Karina's character attacking him time & time again after getting rezzed dying several times over. The ground would be littered with corpses & all the players around would cheer him on all the while this was going on. That was probably his best & fondest memories of UO back in the day.

Back in the day when you had a house key to lock up your house. Karina would use a different character for the tricks he did once he obtained a house key from another player, yet again another opportunity for him to get loot from other players.

Back in the day when players would transfer items from character to character in the inns. This is the one I took advantage of when I played. I trained in hiding & would hang out at inns waiting for players to transfer their items. Some players were smarter than others & would walk around the room trying to find the spot you were hiding in because you couldn't walk thru a hidden character. But I still looted a lot of bags from players in the inns.

There are many more stories Karina could tell you of his adventures back in the day. He & his guild mates were very ingenious when it came to relieving other players of their loot with & without resorting to PKing. But since I would watch him play my memory isn't as good as his when it comes to explaining his tricks so I'll leave it up to him if he wants to come & tell his stories.
"Some mornings, it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps."
Emo Philips.

Cpt_Starfox

Back in the day I seem to vaguely remember starting out on the pvp side of a split shard (a shard where you were either a pvp or a pvm). It was probably not my best idea because they seemed to like newbie killing and back in the day I don't remember having to agree to be resurrected, so they'd just kill me, resurrect me, chase me down, and kill me again. I think it was shortly after that I went pvm lol.

LOL, ShadowMoon, I remember locking them in houses during my time as a shepherd.

Harthus

Back in the day I remember the notoriety system before karma/fame.  If you had even -1 point in notoriety you would be grey and EVERYONE would be trying to kill you.  You did not need to be red.

Back in the day I remember when town was safe for all colors and I remember the day they made it where you could kill murderers and greys in town.  It was a bloodbath for months.

Back in the day I remember when a tamer would walk up to a stablemaster and say  "Claim" because they didnt have the ticket system and all of his animals would appear and he wold have to restable them all. If he had dragons about half of them would go wild and be killed by guards.

Harthus

Back in the day plate legs went over pants of any type so you could have extra armor

Festus

hahah,,, Well, back in the day

On osi's second day public I made an archer character. Keep in mind that you had to equip weapons by hand.  I thought to go out and learn how to kill stuff.  Soooo, as i walked out of town I was first chased by a monbat till exausted and was monbat killed.  I didnt feel to bad about that since it was a common occurance.  I ghosted back to town and found a healer hut and was reserected.  Wow i was amazed.  My bow is still in my pack.  Sooo, out of town I went in search of a foe less dangerous than a monbat.   Ahhh ha!!! A chicken!  Wooo hoo.  So,,, the chicken and i faced each other down.  He looked at me and clucked and i looked at him and wondered, now what?  I finally figured out how to arm the bow and spent a short time admiring the stout look of my fine warrior, standing tall while brandishing a fine bow.  Next I ran up to the chicken and nothing happened except that i was out of stamina agan.  Ohhh noooo's.  Well thought I, it cant be to difficult to figure out this stuff.  I looked around  at another player that was using some sort of weapon to kill a giant looking monster and Im only looking at a chicken.  It was about this time that my son looked over at my computer and said "double click the damn chicken and you will attack it."  So i did and my bow fired but missed. Then it missed again,  The chicken was hitting me and dropping my life quickly.  In a very short time I was dead.  My son laughed at me an i felt like shit.  To this day when i see a chicken I remember my death just outside the city limits of brit to a chicken.  Oh man, it was horrible.

By the way,,,,Hello Vantessa, Ive missed you and your awsome staffing skills.  ;)