Allergic to Dragons, by Helegsul (need some help here)

Started by Stormi, March 27, 2007, 04:47:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stormi

I have an unusual problem and need to see if anyone out there might have an answer or a solution for me.   Whenever someone claims their pet dragon and I am in their vicinity I immediately disconnect.  I also disconnect when I am in the vicinity of untamed dragons out in the field, such as in Destard, the Mushroom cave or Ratman cave.  It is only other dragons that effect me, my own pets are fine.   I have uninstalled, reinstalled and updated my patches twice and that has not solved the problem.  I have been careful not to update over 5.05 with the patches.  Does anyone else have any other helpful hints for me?  Oh, I use Mondains Legacy by the way.    Thank you all so much.  Helegsul

Thane ir'Wyndan

I think Alaric was having this problem not long back.  I dunno what he had to do to fix it but you can try pming him via the forums here.

Time is a healer, time is a stealer, time is an angel, time is a devil that burns.
http://s7.bite-fight.us/c.php?uid=91111

Alaric McCree

My problem started out as a graphics glitch. Brown dragons, my own pets included, looked like a spider that always faced straight down on the screen and never turned or anything. Red dragons and wyrms all were unaffected. Over time my problem became worse. Suddenly any brown dragon, tame or wild, would instantly disconnect me. I tried reloading, repatching, and such as well. In the end my problem was solved when I got my new computer. I downloaded ML off the web and it was all working just fine ever since. Good luck!!!
Sometimes the dragon wins, that's why there is such a shortage of white knights.

Keevanar

I'm allergic to Lake Shrine if I enter it I get client.exe error.I think that dragon problem is not to big.And i found that some other make me client crash to :'(And I don't want to buy a new computer ;D

Forest Rithik

Being unable to be ingame whenever a Brown based dragon or Special Coloured versions based around the Brown base (alot of dragons that people use are) is a big problem. I've had to tame, kill or ask other tamers to put them away long enough for Hele to be able to leave the area/ meadow as they cause that much grief for him. Its a much larger problem then a localised ASBO from a part of a town :-P

Galrom

I couldn't be sure on how to fix it besides reinstallation, but it sounds like the Client is trying to read indexes that are missing or incorrect, as if your datafiles got screwed up.

Some easy-to-do stuff would be maybe a chkdsk to see if you have bad sectors on your hard drive, and maybe a simple defrag. I can't guarantee this will work, but it's good to do it anyway.

Stormi

I have tried all of that, tried reinstalling 2 times and even got a new graphics card.  Nothing seems to work so far.  I however have not given up hope on this yet.  Its just a weird glitch and besides me there are a few others who have the problem.  I cannot afford a new computer so for the time being I live with the problem.  Its only a nuisance when I have to come to the meadow and one is out there, or someone brings one into the meadow.  Out in the game they are pretty easy enough to avoid.  I try not to make a big deal about it because its my problem and Im just 1 person.  I do appreciate any advice or ideas in the hopes that maybe I missed something or that maybe someone will get a new idea by reading these.  As long as I can play I am a happy person, and so far I can still do that.  ;D 

Pocketcow

Not to come across as rude or anything, but it was mentioned that the software had been installed/uninstalled etc.. Unless this computer is ancient, hard drives automatically skip over bad sectors in use. In fact, the hard drive in your computer when you first bought it, very well could have shipped with bad sectors. Anyway, my point is that bad sectors are normally only a problem if there was data in that sector that the program needed. (which the uninstal/reinstall would have fixed) Also, usually when a drive is so bad that it is losing sectors, you have a lot more problems than UO not working correctly.

Something else to consider, is that the uninstall you are doing is not completely removing the software. After uninstalling something, try to check back in your programs folder to see if there is still a UO folder. Delete anything UO related actually. Another thing you can do is use regedit and delete entries in your software listings that have Ultima or Origin in their name. (Be careful in the registry so that you don't damage other things)

Personally, if this were my problem. I would do the following:

1. Scan for viruses
2. Scan for spyware
3. Uninstall UO(Might want to get rid of all of it- the addons like razor and gateway... just to start from scratch)
4. Check for video card updates
5. Run a disk defrag to clean up the mess.
6. Reboot
7. Reinstall. (try to download Samurai Empire and use that)
8. Patch it
9. Get and setup razor and gateway.

Stormi

Thank you, and no you didnt come across as rude or anything, in fact this is what I was looking for, different ideas in case something got missed or you know how in a brainstorm session, someone has an idea and others take it further, or they think along a different tangent.  I am not computer literate by any means, and some of what you suggested I think is beyond me.  The list you gave I have already done, in fact I thought maybe my security system was stopping it for a bit, as it has other programs before because of my firewalls, but that wasnt the case.  But I have friends who will know exactly what you are talking about and they will be able to assist me.  Thank you and thank you to everyone else who has answered my question.

Galrom

Pocketcow is right, I'm not thinking clearly. It's the weekend after all.

Stormi

Thats ok Galrom none of us are thinking clearly righ tnow, we all have jitters and withdrawl.  hehe and Thank you as well for responding, I appreciate it.