Need Help Getting Started

Started by Covenant, July 16, 2013, 02:45:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Covenant

Hi all...  I think it's appropriate that I introduce myself before getting to my question. Name's Covenant. I'm a long time UO player, starting with OSI '99 and about six free servers since then. I've been playing another server for the past year and, once again, found reason to be disgusted with it. I decided to try something different this time - a Trammel server. It occured to me that the reason I've left every server I've played on had to do with non-consensual PvP. And for these past 13 years I've thought that I didn't like Trammel but the truth is that in '99 I was mad at it for reasons that are no longer valid. I saw it as an easy mode handed to everyone after I'd just got done with a year's worth of grueling grinding. I had also purchased $500 worth of virtual goods in the game on Ebay that were sure to become rapidly devalued. None of that matters anymore... now I'm a father and husband who works long hours and needs a little time to unwind and get lost for a while. And the same old that you all know and remember isn't doing it for me. I Googled some new servers up and this looked like one of the best in terms of content, rules, and the demands on players. I hope to meet you all in-game soon. :)

Which brings me to my question: On the New PLayer Guide off the main page it instructs -

"First of all, you need an account. PM Admin Acacia on the forums with your preferred account and password with a little description about yourself and why you wish to play on Sylvan (no need to write 2000 word essay though). Chances are, you'll be accepted ^^

Once you have your account, you'll have to make a new character."

But then I made a forum account and looked up Acacia and found this -

Name:    Admin Acacia
Custom Title:    I am the bunny Queen!
Position:    Administrator
Date Registered:    June 24, 2006, 07:45:05 pm
Last Active:    November 22, 2011, 09:29:30 pm

So how does one go about getting started nowadays?

Covenant

Actually, searched around and found it on my own here - http://www.sylvandreams.co.uk/index.php?p=25

Probably want to link that on the front page instead of Acacia. I can't be the only person that's confused. At least I hope not. :P

Iris

Hello I am Iris one of the Admins of Sylvan, Things have changed a bit sence 2011. We would be Happy to help get you started here on Sylvan, if you would like an account with us just Pm myself or Cypress through the forums with your Account name and password and we will get your account started for you. we look forward to meeting you

Festus

Quote from: Covenant on July 16, 2013, 03:17:37 AM
Actually, searched around and found it on my own here - http://www.sylvandreams.co.uk/index.php?p=25

Probably want to link that on the front page instead of Acacia. I can't be the only person that's confused. At least I hope not. :P
I for one will help you out in game as much as I can without taking away the experience.  I have to tell you that what you said in your intro is the same thing a buddy and I came here for and we both love it here on Sylvan.  You can pretty much get out there and get yer adrenalin rush pretty fast after logging in.  haha  Tbh, you will find ettens and ogres a bit tough. You will find many people here that will help you anytime you need it. I have been here almost a year and haven't found boordum yet.  There is often new content/quests/dungeons and other additions to give a challenge.  As I said earlier I have been here a year and for instance I cant wait to log on this morning and go to Felucca to hunt for a certain type of item needed to augment my armor and buff my stats a bit.  Its nothing but good times and great people.  Both Staff and players alike.  OHHH,,, Did you notice.  This is the only UO forum I have ever seen that didn't have pages of crying and whining about cheaters, corruption and the like.  It don't exist here.   There is actually nothing to complain about.  haha
Looking forward to seeing you in game soon.
S

Festus

As I was playing and died I had an additional thought and I checked yer post below.  Yes you said trammel shard.  On sylvan there is trammel, felucca, t2a, ishnar, Malus and Tpkuno.  If by Trammel shard you mean your given everything you need?  Nope not here.  If by trammel shard you mean no pk's?  Yes there are no true pks however having played UO since beta I've had my fill of playing a pk and of being pk'd.  I do still like a bit of PVP however and I manage to get that when needed however the players on sylvan display a certain level of honor and I have absolutely nothing to complain about from having fought another player here and there for some reason or another.  (never out of anger)

Cypress

Hey there! I thought I had changed all those old posting  :o  I'll have to go see about fixing that lol. Thanks for pointing it out for me!

~ Admin Cypress

Cypress

Wow, found another old post that referred to "GM Iris" LOL - She's been long since promoted. I'll fix that one too hehe. *quickly goes to change it before she notices*  :D

Festus

soooo,  covenant?  Are ya in?

Covenant

Thank you all for the warm welcome! I appreciate the quick replies, Cypress and Iris and I'm glad I mentioned the links to you. :)

Festus, I just installed the game and I'm about to hop in for the first time right now. Let me warn you that I'm probably going to be worse than a newborn here, haha. I've never played in any realim other than the Old Lands/T2A of Felucca and I've never played with any game mechanics newer than Renaissance era special weapons moves (crushing/concussion blow, para). Even without taking custom Sylvan content into consideration, I'm looking at about a decade of what to me will be brand new material. It should be quite interesting. :) I'll see you in game, my friend. Looking forward to adventuring with you.

P.S. By Trammel I just meant the obvious - no non-consensual PvP.

Festus

Quote from: Covenant on July 17, 2013, 11:26:44 PM
Thank you all for the warm welcome! I appreciate the quick replies, Cypress and Iris and I'm glad I mentioned the links to you. :)

Festus, I just installed the game and I'm about to hop in for the first time right now. Let me warn you that I'm probably going to be worse than a newborn here, haha. I've never played in any realim other than the Old Lands/T2A of Felucca and I've never played with any game mechanics newer than Renaissance era special weapons moves (crushing/concussion blow, para). Even without taking custom Sylvan content into consideration, I'm looking at about a decade of what to me will be brand new material. It should be quite interesting. :) I'll see you in game, my friend. Looking forward to adventuring with you.

P.S. By Trammel I just meant the obvious - no non-consensual PvP.
hahha while your macroing and bored you should look up some of my first posts.  You could have just copied my post and pasted it here for your post.  I was the same.  Only played t2a era and earlier shards.  Ohhhh man is it fun to learn.  I never did get frustrated as I could always find someone to gime a hand with questions and answers.  Please ask questions as it will save you mass time and increase your learning curve.  BTW after a year im still learning and still don't quite have my toon set up like Id like it.  Ohhh she is pretty tough but still can be a bit tougher.   hehe I guess that's one of the things about sylvan.  There is no end to what you can do here.