Some errors and issues I've encountered

Started by Knossos, November 01, 2007, 06:10:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Knossos

[moveitems (exact? don't recall)
target an item you are wearing in your paper doll (I did it personally with a bracelet)
-The shard has crashed

[moveitems into a tool box or resource box, etc, etc causes the items to automagically vanish.

Setting a [harvest bag will cause all resources to be lost.  Some times it's as expected, but it also causes fishing loot to disappear, such as big fish or chests with items.  These are intended to fall to the users feet if they are over weight or have to many items but the [harvest is circumventing it.

While fishing, you can not move away from the resources.  This is the way it is done on OSI and I'm not sure RunUO so excuse me if it's a known RunUO 1.0 error, but I know you all have made changes to the fishing scripts based on what I'm getting.

In Drift Wood Carving, the prefix for a Potion Shelf is "An".  On hover reads "an potion shelf"

[dump-ing into the barrel in the meadow gets everyone upset.  Is this working as intended? *laughs*

Crimson

Some of these you listed are known issues and most seasoned players already know not to use certain commands certain ways. Such as the [dump and [moveitems into tool boxes and resource boxes. Not only will your items dissapear but there is a good chance you can crash the shard when doing so. Also using those commands in the trash barrels can and probably will cause the shard to crash, never ever ever use those commands in the trashbarrel or the great gods of this shard will take our wonderful reward barrel away from us again.

I have never encountered the first command issue you mentioned, then again I've never had the need to use any commands on my paperdoll. As for the [harvest bag command, I have one set on my alt and my resources go into the bag I designated. Is there a condition that is causing them to dissapear that you didn't mention? I saw you later said something about being overweigh. Are the items dissapearing when you are overweight or are they just dissapearing even when not overweight?

I know in the past that I have lost a treasure chest due to being overweight, and when I paged about it I was told to make sure that I wasn't overweight or almosted maxxed out in items in my pack or items can be lost. I don't know anything about scripting, but I'm sure if it was something easy to fix it would have been done already. And its been quite a long time since I've encountered that issue. My suggestion, that for now either keep an eye on your weight limit and backpack item count or go without a harvest bag and see if once you meet and exceed these limits if your items still vanish or if they drop at your feet.

I'm a little confused about your issue of moving away from resources while fishing. What do you mean by this?
And as for the potion shelf, what else can I say other than that even our skyguds who created these items for us are human in rl and can make mistakes hehe.   :D
"Some mornings, it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps."
Emo Philips.

Knossos

Quote from: Crimson on November 01, 2007, 02:25:38 PM
As for the [harvest bag command, I have one set on my alt and my resources go into the bag I designated. Is there a condition that is causing them to dissapear that you didn't mention? I saw you later said something about being overweigh. Are the items dissapearing when you are overweight or are they just dissapearing even when not overweight?

I was at 200 items and the fished up chest must have had more then 50 items in it and it disappeared.  In these cases it is suppose to drop to the players feet, just like a Big Fish.  This bug still exists.

Quote from: Crimson on November 01, 2007, 02:25:38 PM
I'm a little confused about your issue of moving away from resources while fishing. What do you mean by this?

While fishing, you are suppose to be able to "slow forward" and fish.  On this shard, if you do that you will get messages such as "you are to far away" after the 9 seconds pass.  I don't know if this was a change in OSI Code in the 3 years I hadn't played or a RunUO1.0 error but thought I would list it.

Admin Acacia

Many of these player "easy" commands have had issues from the begginning when they were scripted.  Some are being worked on, but we have stated numerous times not to use them in certain ways.    I do realize this is not always something a new to the shard player knows, because they don't read all the scoop on the forums.   In fact, some never read the forums at all.

As to the fishing while moving, that was my most favorite thing on OSI that is missing on the player shards.   It is NOT a Sylvan bug, but something that just can't be done on RunUO shards... because it isn't scripted that way.

Never be less than your dreams.

Lamalas Telemnar

You know sound's to me like some 1 pushing everything  they can to see what they can and cant get away with. But then again i may be wrong.

Knossos

That's kind of rude.

I've read all the posts on the forums regarding this stuff, but some of it is common knowledge for those who are here and it's assumed everyone else knows it.  Even after 40 days on this shard, playing nearly every day, I don't remember hearing anyone mention the [moveitems command and how not to use it. And these 'known issue' posts are spread around 4 different areas on the forum, in 10 different posts, but that's another story.

I'm a computer science major at Georgia Tech specializing in Artificial Intelligence and Human and Computer Interaction coming up to my last year.  It's in my nature to use the commands and tools that I have to try to make my life easier. It's a big difference between finding errors in existing code and going to look for errors because they exist.  Same goes for not telling staff about known issues, especially ones that cause the shard to crash.  Had I realized that posting this would be treated so negative and I would be harassed for trying to help the person hired to script fix some issues, I would have never said anything.  I'm sure you all think some horrible things about me already, which may have influenced your reply Lama, but I only have good intension and I would gladly help in any way I could, given the chance.  On second thought, I posted an exploit for crashing the shard, so is my account now in jeopardy?

As for pushing everything I can to see what I can get away with; if you call mass moving your gems into your resource box something to get away with, I'm guilty as charged.

-Knossos

Crimson

Although I am not defending Lamalas' post, he did state that he could be wrong. We all know that expressing ourselves on the forums to one another lacks alot of real life expression. Where as one may have said something jokingly and its taken offensive. I am not saying that this is the case here since I don't know what was running through Lamalas' mind at the time of his post.

We all need to think constructively when we read and reply one anther's posts rather than jumping to conclusions. If you feel someone is attacking you then maybe a pm to that person, asking them if it was there intent to respond the way you think they were, would be the answer. In my posts I like to use emoticons to help express myself best I can when just typed words lack what I am feeling or to intensify those words even more.

My best guess to his reply would be that he knows of or knows other staff that know of players who try just about anything to find exploits with our special commands. I'm not saying that this was your intent, clearly you have stated that already, but some commands used on certain things may not make sense to one where it would make perfect sense to another. (IE. using [moveitems on paperdoll had never came across as a useful way to use the command to me)

I think the staff here try to do the very best they can for this shard to make it an enjoyable place for all of us to come and get away from our real lives. And helping them by pointing out problems in the game, as far as I know, is always welcome. As far as finding out about the "known issues" in game, I agree that finding them on the forums can be a difficult task, especially when you don't know what to look for. We do have many write ups under our shard basics but even in the player command post it doesn't have feedback on the particular commands that have known issues when used in certain ways.

Who knows, maybe after this post we might have a new write up on known issues in game. Whether it causes the shard to crash, like the [dump & [moveitem command on the trash barrel, or something that is just a headache, like possible item loss if your pack is too full when you are resource gathering. I don't know all the issues we have in game or else I would write something up myself and pm it to the staff for them to post in the shard basics, but maybe someone else who does know can.

After explaining yourself a little more as to why you explored the player commands I don't think your account will be in jeopardy. Besides if I were to try and exploit something in game, I wouldn't post problems I had found in the process of trying to find an exploit, it would only draw more attention to the poster. In the end I do hope that more good can come out of these posts than harm.

"Some mornings, it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps."
Emo Philips.

toddp0168

As for the fishing thing, I think it is a RunUO 1.0 issue.  I have played on RunUO 2.0 shards in the past and was able to fish while moving, so maybe if our scriptor has the chance to convert us to 2.0 that issue might go away.

Jager

I for one would like to thank Knossos for presenting these issues. As one who has tried to do my best for the shard overall I know how hard it can be. Thanks for posting this.

If you find anything else I am sure it would be welcome for you to post it, as opposed to sitting on it and not shareing for others to be careful not to do.

Jager

Admin Acacia

Every shard out there will have issues... some common, some more unique, that are buggy and cause issues.   I can't imagine any shard admin not wishing to know about such things that can be fixed.  Sometimes the fixes are easy, sometimes the bugs tend to be a little more difficult to chase down.

Staff appreciates knowing about such things so they can be looked in to.  Many of them are being worked on, but it takes a bit of time.  Continue to let us know about things you find... that's why this section is called Game Problems and Bugs.  Of course, if something is out there that could be called an exploit, we hope a person would avoid using it and let us know right away.   ;D

Never be less than your dreams.

Aesa

Just a note.  I'm guessing the boss would prefer you PM her on the forums or page a staff member in game to report any exploits you find in game rather than post in the forums where another player can read it possibly use it to benefit him/her.