FYI from a new player - Vendor changes

Started by Beryl, May 25, 2009, 09:17:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beryl

Hello! I've been playing now for about 7 days. I thought I'd share some experiences from the "new player" perspective.

The Vendor changes hit new players hard. (I'm not saying they aren't a good thing, hear me out).

When I started my Smith, I started him with Magery and Blacksmithing. I went out into the world with my starting pickaxes and started mining. Once those were gone, I went the vendors to buy some more... OOPS! There aren't any. Since my tinkering was at 0, I bought it up to 30 or so and started tinkering with the few ingots I had managed to mine. When they were all gone, my skill was at 33 or so, still too low to tinker a shovel/pick.

I visited several player vendors and was unable to find any shovels/picks. I saw a few packages labeled "Tools" but they were empty or didn't contain mining tools.

I'd have been out of luck if the fair Lady Tesla had not helped me out with enough shovels to get me enough iron to raise my tinkering.

As far as food, that's been hard to find as well. None sold by NPCs so I had to look at vendors, after looking at several, I had only found very expensive specialized food, which I had to wind up buying. I did later happen across a player vendor selling "normal" food and bought some, but now I make my own.

Many people who join a new shard are cautious with their interactions with people and also don't want to look foolish by asking [c "where can I get food". This may lead to some people having a difficult experience in their starting days or simply leaving, and none of us want that.

The easiest solution would be to have a few items back on the vendors, at inflated prices. So if a Fish steak normally sells for X, have them on a vendor for 4X (6X, 10X, whatever). Same with basic tools a starting player would need. Pickaxes available? Sure, 800gp! (or whatever).

A better solution might be some signs (in Magnicia at least) in the shops that tell people where the items are now (the trinsic vendor mall I assume).

Thoughts?
It was on fire when I got here

Abbadon

Well, I think having the vendors not selling food isnt too bad. If you had started with mage, you can use "create food" to make food and get free water from a well (or get a water bucket). Since create food is such a low circle spell, virtually anyone can use it.

Also Misty and Link are working on "new player" packs where you get given a few simple essentials to get new players started off, and tools would be one of them. I remember when I was a new player and although it was somewhat annoying at first (because no one had any shovels in stock) but you learn to pick up tinkering (essential skill for any crafter). As you said, if you didn't have many ingots to begin with that could be a problem... I think the only way to get around this is to encourage new players to seek for help when they need it, since its not really the players/staffers problem if they are too scared to search for help.

Help us, help you ^^

Misty Waters

I know its kinda hard on the newplayers to get all the things they need to help them get started i normally keep shovels and things on my vender but they wasnt selling and i just forgot to keep a close eye on the tools.ill try to watch them a little closer. and i have plenty of food so i may add that to my vender as well, we have been working on a new players bag to kinda help get yall some of the things you might need to help the new players get a good start . and we do need more venders to carry the little things to help out the new players please let us know if there is anything else that we might can do to help out

Abbadon

Well they did try to make it easier by adding the meadow Vendor portal, but all the vendors became inactive and unstocked after a while, so maybe consider moving an active vendor to there.

Oh and if any new players need some iron ingots to start with and level up their tinker etc. I think I still have like 10k left so feel free to pm me for some.

Cpt_Starfox

Let me echo a bit and say, if you need any help please pm Misty, Link, Visk, Maybell, or Artemis in game and we will be happy to help you find what you need or provide some supplies via the welcome bag or at a reasonable rate on vendors :)

Don't be too cautious when asking help, most of us won't bite... Visk might... being vampire and all... but.... generally not when helping new people lol  :D

Admin Acacia

The deal of taking many items off the NPC vendor was intended to be a test.  At the time, we had a lot of crafters all saying what a fantastic idea it would be.  As with many things, it's a neat idea till people get tired of keeping up with the neat idea.    We really would like players to provide items for players, but this can be changed to add in a few things.  Tinkers do sell tinker kits to get players started, but they don't sell the shovels.

Never be less than your dreams.

Kodan

You guys actually went ahead and made that final?
Sweet >_>

Abbadon

Quote from: Kodan on May 25, 2009, 11:05:04 PM
You guys actually went ahead and made that final?
Sweet >_>

??? This system is already in place o.O

And yes I wont bite... Maybe... No promises :P

In my personal experience Misty/Maybell has got the most active vendor and her stuff is always stocked - if it can be crafted, Misty has it ^^ Also for those of you who havent checked out her armory, I highly suggest you do, but make sure you have some sort of bowl or cup to catch all the drool...

Kodan

I meant since I last played.
Roughly about the time I left, they were still talking about doing it, but it actually wasn;'t in place. I don't think.

Beryl

Quote from: Abbadon on May 25, 2009, 11:14:37 PM
In my personal experience Misty/Maybell has got the most active vendor and her stuff is always stocked - if it can be crafted, Misty has it ^^

I quite agree! However, I know both from my experience and from what I've heard in [c from new players that the experience of running thru all the vendors can be discouraging.

I'm sure there was food on some vendor, somewhere, in some little pouch I neglected to open. Finding that pouch among 20 different portals who may each have 2-3 vendors each having 20, 40, (sometimes more!) bags was discouraging. Finding a vendor with almost nothing on them is even worse.

Again, I'm not saying the system is broken, in fact, I applaud it in general. I'm all for crafters being able to earn a living selling basic items and not being undercut by the NPCs. As Acacia said, the system only breaks down when there become fewer players stocking those items. I'm sure that it goes in spurts, and a vendor selling food/tools/aids/whatever may go a long time with nothing being bought. It would make sense that the person maintaining that vendor would forget to check it when it was full the last 10 times they checked.

After the initial hiccup, things have been going smoothly and I want to thank everyone who lent a hand to me personally :).
It was on fire when I got here

Shadhahvar

The Vendors at the Trinsic mall are usually filled a regular  bases.  And you can page them vendors owner to get something not there put on there. and as some one else said Link and Misty are always on they will gladly help people.So everyone please do not get upset with the vendor system and work with it. It has made many Crafters a lot more important. I also know most people who have vendors at the mall will gladly help you get what ever you need.
Unicorns are the most beautiful creature