Take a Look, Let Us Know What You Think

Started by Admin Acacia, June 02, 2009, 09:23:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alder Ogham

Gah, never ever put music on a website by default! Please please please no!

I have to agree that it is a little "busy", and I am slightly concerned about the fact that it's currently a subsite of something else (but I'm not sure what) - is it a self-contained website that can be moved if needs be or is it tied to this "pioneerontheprairie"?

Other than that, it's looking good.

GM Feenix

Music was just an idea  was thinking of "Stones"  playing   no  not the Rollin ones   the song that the best bard in Ultima pulled out of the twin moons   Felucca and Trammel.  Again  was an idea  but not necessary...

It's not who's at the top that matters. Only the path you chose to get there.

Admin Acacia

Never be less than your dreams.

Cpt_Starfox

The fact that is a subsite is because I didn't have anywhere "Sylvanish" to host it... I designed and coded the site to be easy to manage and move. The only thing tying it to it's current domain is a small backend mysql database (yes, it is a dynamic site - those are not static pages... though you could probably guess that).

What the site needs:
PHP
Mysql
And a "Sylvanish" place to live with the above two  :)

The database is very small - only one table, but it would be nice to have phpmyadmin access to it because I do some things directly through the database because I have not coded all of the management functions yet and not sure when I will get to...

Now as far as music goes, I don't do auto-play music unless it is insisted upon by the owner because, yes, it is generally a bad idea. HOWEVER, that isn't to say we can't have music :) Though to save load time for us people with slow internet, and due to the fact that embedded music would not work well with this site (because it would restart every time you changed pages), I'd suggest having it optionally open in it's own Sylvanish looking little window when the user clicks something like a small music link :) I might see what I can do hopefully soon.

Cpt_Starfox

Music is added to the site - The music is from http://www.sky.fm/ online radio station. And, at this time.... at least on my computer, seems the "lower quality for dialup users" is goofed up... not sure when they'll fix that, but for now, the higher quality one works well at least :)

Please enjoy.

Kodan

Live streaming music is BAD for dialup. It can screw up a displaying website quite badly for someone on dial-up.

Alder Ogham

Well the current website/forums are on a linux server that uses a mysql database (yep, smf needs one too), so I'll happily host this website (so long as you don't make sound mandatory - it's a rule I have - I won't host sites with mandatory sound/music, the optional is fine :-) ).

Just send me the files and a dump of the database, and where to configure said db, and I'll host it.  I'll even point www.sylvandreams.co.uk at it, as that is in my control, unlike any of the other domains.

Cpt_Starfox

Thanks Alder :)

And of course the sound is optional - it even opens in it's own window/tab. I do not like making music auto-play either  ;)

GM Feenix

Finally  it is starting to look like a picture.  It took some work, but we found all the edge pieces.  Such a great community of people all with different parts of the mixture coming together to form a work of art...

BRAVO!!!!!!!

It's not who's at the top that matters. Only the path you chose to get there.

Mina

hey linky... curious question?  what are ye doing for keywords and google placement. I seem to be an expert in that field.
example: google norton prams,  number 1 and 2 are my online store ( above the actual norton pram site)
              google local removals companies, sulexservices = me
               google archive storage aberdeen - again sulex one is me.  is more and they are all on first pages of google, yahoo and majority are number one. even google uogateway free download its also number one.

so i volunteer my services for setting keyword strategy.. ;D

Abbadon

Yup we had already thought about getting your help for this department :)

Although we have to be careful about putting unsightly tags here and there... If done carefully Im sure we could work our way up the google tree.

Alaric McCree

I love the new look of the website and the music is awesome. Job well done to you all!!

Sometimes the dragon wins, that's why there is such a shortage of white knights.

Cpt_Starfox

Now when you click the "readability" link, it will stay turned on for the other pages as well! We've also added a crafts page!

Crim/Katt/Amari/Imzade

The site is looking very nice! My only suggestion would be to make the font color white to show up against the dark background. This will make it easier to read.

A real friend will tell you when your face is dirty~~sicillian proverb

Skynar

Looks good cept lose the background. Makes it hard to read and no professional website has background images anymore.  Its solid for a reason.  Easy to read and professional looking.

just my 2 cents