NEW EVENT - Pit Battles

Started by Heimdall, July 25, 2006, 08:50:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Heimdall

The Staff of Sylvan Heart is proud to announce their new event.  The Pit Battle is a Player V Monster event that anyone can take part in. The Rules of this new Pit Battles are as follows:

The Pit consists of 2 parallel sets of 8 rooms, which get slightly more difficult as you progress.  A player must kill all the monsters in each room as fast as they can in order to win and beat their opponent.  Although you will be fighting monsters, you will be competing in time with a player opponent.  The first one to the winner’s room will proceed to the next round in a knockout format. The rules for this event are as follows:

1.   The event will be set up as a knockout tournament.  Any player can enter, warriors, tamers, mages, socketed or not.  Events will be announced by staff on either Forums or by the town crier.  This will then allow the players to register (by means notified at the battle announcement time).  Once everyone taking part has registered, a draw will be made at random.  Players will be picked to compete against another player in a series of knockout rounds down to the final.  Prior to your round, a staff member will contact you informing you of your battle.  This will give you sufficient time to finish up your in-game affairs.  You will then be transported to the Start Room (picture below).   

On the command of GOGOGO from the staff, you can use the Red Teleporter tile to move to Room One. (NOTE:  Any player jumping the gun will automatically lose their Round!)  Once in the first Room (Picture shown below) you are to kill all the spawn AND atone the corpses, then you can step on the Red Teleporter Tile to proceed to the next Room.  There are 8 Rooms in total, with the last one having a Yellow Teleporter in place of the Red one in previous Rooms (detailed further below).  Each Room also has a Blue Teleporter.  This will return you to the Start Room, which has a Resurrection Gate.  You must then go back through all Red Teleporters to your current room (and corpse!).  The rooms you have already completed will not respawn, but the run back is your time penalty for dying.

When you have completed the last room the Yellow teleporter will take you to the Winners Room (shown below).  You will see a Gold Statue in this room and the first player to arrive is to pick it up, as proof they were first player present, then announce that they have finished over public chat.  A Staff member will then check all the players battle rooms to ensure all spawn is killed and corpses atoned. (NOTE:  There is no way back from the Winners Room, so anyone failing to kill any spawn, or not atoning a corpse will not be able to get back to it and will therefore lose their Round!)   If you fail to complete the course, you can call yield at any time and the staff will remove the spawn allowing you to safely get your corpse back.  However, that room will be your finishing position and your opponent will only need to advance one room further to be victorious.  In the event of both players failing at the same Room, the staff will be the deciding judge on the victor.

There is a spectators area between the 2 Battle Runs, so interested parties can stand and watch the event taking place.  There is now a Teleporter tile in the Event Center so you can view the area and get acquainted with it.

We will run a few Trial Battles in the next week or 2 to iron out any difficulties, then will make a decision on the following 2 options:

League Table Option

Every competition remains open to all-comers and you register under the category of Warrior, Mage, Tamer, Hybrid and also Socketed, partially, or non-socketed.  Every time you compete you get a point, so if you make Round 2, you get 2 points etc and onwards, with the winner of the Tourney getting an extra bonus point.  We will keep an up-to-date League Table (in a forum thread), which will highlight overall positions and also their categories.  This way, if you manage to compete in a number of events, showing support for the battles, you have the opportunity of being higher in the league table (and bragging rights) than that highly-socketed warrior who only turned up occasionally for an event.  We will announce when each season is to run until (probably quarterly) and at the end of the season, we will have prizes for the leader in each category and class, as well as overall champion.

Benefits:   Everyone can compete in each battle/event.
Cons:   Socketed warriors are more likely to be the overall winners of each event.

Individual Event Category Option

Events will be held for individual classes, for example, Tamer only battles, warrior only, non-socketed only etc and the occasional Open event for all.  There would be no league table (too much work to run so many simultaneous tables) and just individual prizes for the event itself.

Benefits:  You get a chance to win an event in your own class
Cons:   You may only have 1event a week you can compete in, rather than all of them with the league table option

The next step…….

Please feel free to visit the spectators area and get a feel for the arena.  We would welcome feedback on which of the options above you prefer (although if you have yet another idea, please PM me with it and I will add it to the options, rather than making this thread a long debate).  The first trial battle is likely to be before this weekend, to test the arena etc and iron out any bugs.  These will be open events so everyone can have a go.  (Note:  every competitor is a winner as you can loot your kills, therefore gaining from every event you compete in, with no fear of losing your corpse if you decide to yield at that monster that was just too tough!!!)

We look forward to welcoming you all to the new arena and hope you are successful in any events you enter….

Let the Battles Commence!!!

Asimon

Our admins rock, this is soooo cool. I can't decide, I vote for both, a league and pick ups for the ones who fall out of the league hehe.

Ortanius

This sounds so cool its scary...

Kevetsa

Huzzah. Sounds great.

Time to sharpen the ole beating stick and get ready to...beat.
Give a man a fire he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire he's warm for the rest of his life.

Kevetsa Kususroth, Smitt, Drahca, Bethariel

Icemere

I'm loving this :)... Thanks Admins ! ;)

Heimdall

OK.  I have completed the "competition" for you Battlers, so I am happy to announce that the first Test Run Pit Battle will be held on Friday 28th with Round 1 commencing at 9PM GMT (4PM EST).  Entrants are invited from every catagory and you can pre-register by sending me a PM before the event starts. 

If you have work, or something that will keep you from being there at the start, let me know in the PM, so I can arrange for your battle to be later on in Round 1 etc.

Remember citizens, you win merely by competing as you can loot every monster you kill.....and if you cannot finish, you simply call yield and you get your corpse back....what could be better???  loot with no long-term risk!

Ortanius

After going through the 1st round, I got to thinking what else would be fun... I thought wouldn't team pit battles be fun? 2 players working together against another team of 2, sounds fun to me. Of course it would have to be against harder spawn but... it would still be fun I think  ;D

Heimdall

Good thought, but we're already ahead of you on that one and it's already in development.....Unfortunately, it maybe the teams are going to have to have a collection of Alarics Mutant Monsters for the battle arena.....*shudders*

Ortanius

Hehe *big grin* sounds fun

Oh.. and Great Event! And congrats to T'Genni for winning the Test run  ;D