My first house

Started by Janzabo, June 28, 2007, 04:06:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Janzabo

I haven't gotten my first house yet (mostly because I don't know where I want to place it), but I had been deciding on what kind of house I wanted.  At first, I wanted the small marble workshop because it was easy, ready to decorate, and cheap.  On the other hand, since it's a free house, I thought "why not go bigger"? I thought maybe I should try my hand at one of the customizable houses, seeing as they give a lot more freedom to design.

Now then, my question is involved in the cost of decoration.  Is building the walls/floor free? Or does it cost money per each section of wall/floor that I place (like in the Sims)?  And, if it does cost money, about how much should I expect to spend? I don't want to spend all my hard-earned money on half of a room... The reason I ask these questions here is that I haven't been able to find a straight answer on other websites. Thanks in advance.

Kauri

It costs 500gp per tile placed. That goes for anything you can add in the design tool. The dirt you start with can be covered for free, but if you build on a second level it costs 500 per piece of ground.

I can't tell you much about the overall cost, but an 18x18, 3 story costs about 300k - 500k to do. If you're using your free house, it won't be that big.

Janzabo

what about the walls? also 500g?

also some other questions I forgot...

overtime, like after I have the ability to get a lot more money, I want to turn my house into a much more decorated place, obviously.  Much of these decorations would come from the home deco mall.  I was wondering if all of the stuff in there can be placed in the pre-made houses, or is some of it only placeable in custom houses (particularly I'm curious about the virtue shrines, because I want one in my house for RP purposes)?

And, finally, does anyone know of a tool or website or something I could use to calculate (or at least get a general idea about) the cost of building my house before I even own the plot of land? The cost of design could directly effect which house I choose...so I would like to know.

Aderyn

Walls are also 500gp per tile. I don't know that there is any easy way to calculate the cost. I do know that I chose the 10x10 custom plot as my first house and it was a while before I could actually build my house. So if you want to start decorating right away, you might want to choose one of the pre-designed houses.

Not sure whether you know this already, but wanted to make sure. The largest house size you can get as your free house is the 10x10 2-story customizeable. The list of available pre-designed and custom plots and prices is here: http://www.sylvanheart.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=1504.0

The ones highlighted in red are the ones you can get as your free house.

Janzabo

Yeah I read the thread about the free houses, so I know what the biggest size was... (although, in terms of area, 9x12 is bigger than 10x10, heh)

Anyway, I guess I should save up more...I have about 75k from killing random monsters, don't know how much that would get me.

Though, mathmatically, if I covered the entire 10x10 area with flooring (not counting bottom floor since its free) and surrounded the rest with walls, that would be 90k for 2 floors, though I'm not planning to use that much... but anyhow, what about roofing? What's the cost with that?

toddp0168

Every tile you place during customization is 500gp.  Period.  Don't matter what kind of piece (floor, wall, water, lava, door, arch, roof, etc).  If you want to know how much it will cost, you can always design it, and then check the cost to commit.  You do not have to commit at that time, but that way you know exactly how much it will cost for the design you want.  And you can save different designs (supposedly, never tried it personally).  So you can do one design for the final look and save it.  Then, if you cant afford that, build something simpler at first.  Then when you have the funds, you could go back to the original design.

Janzabo

I understand that, I've seen that tool on UO stratics, but that's not the problem. The problem is, in order for that to work, don't I need a plot of land already purchased (relative term, considering its free) and placed? Because I'm trying to decide if I want a custom house or pre-made house...and if I can only use that tool after I've placed my plot, then decide I don't want it, I'd be stuck with it... so that's my problem.

Thane ir'Wyndan

There was a house design tool on stratics a while back, not sure if it is still there or not.  That used to be able to help you figure out a design and price for the house.

Time is a healer, time is a stealer, time is an angel, time is a devil that burns.
http://s7.bite-fight.us/c.php?uid=91111

Admin Acacia

Quote from: Janzabo on June 28, 2007, 05:48:00 AM
I understand that, I've seen that tool on UO stratics, but that's not the problem. The problem is, in order for that to work, don't I need a plot of land already purchased (relative term, considering its free) and placed? Because I'm trying to decide if I want a custom house or pre-made house...and if I can only use that tool after I've placed my plot, then decide I don't want it, I'd be stuck with it... so that's my problem.

Staff will place the plot for you, either the free up to 10x10, or you buy a bigger plot.  You then build the house.   If you decide you don't like the house, don't want the house in that location, or whatever, you can demolish the house, and the plot with it, and the gold from that will be returned to you in a check in your bank box.

Never be less than your dreams.

Jazmyn

Hi,

I was torn about housing when I first arrived here at Sylvan.   I picked from the free houses and had it placed in a location I liked.  I decorated it very nicely.  Once I had built my money up,  then I demolished that house and  purchased a larger plot for a custom house. Even though the first house is given to you free by staff you receive the gold its worth when you demolish it.  Also as you build your custom house the tool gives you the amount you have spent including the price of the plot.  If you don't have enough money when you are finished building it you don't have to commit to it.  Run out earn more money and then commit.  The tool saves the changes for you.

Good Luck
~Jaz~

Cpt_Starfox

I've actually been in kinda a delima about housing myself hehe... been looking for the perfect place to put it  =)  It is taking me some time to find... lots of good old fashion exploration!  ;)

In this current topic... it is great to know that the tool saves designs even if you do not commit to them because it will likely be a long time before I can build my house LOL  ;D

Janzabo

Well I know it saves your designs...just saying I want a house that actually looks like a house. If I don't have enough money to build a house on the plot, then I don't want to leave it there as a dirt plot. I want to have enough money to both design the house and to fill it up with a few pieces of furniture (like a bed). Though, as Acacia said, I can demolish it if I don't like it so I guess that's what I'll do... still looking for a place to place it like the poster above me...maybe we should look together :P

Well, thanks for the help everyone.

Flint

Just remember Rome wasnt built in a day. I enjoyed my lil dirt patch for a few months till i could afford to upgrade it.
Flint the Dwarf
Raist
Tanis

Keloff Brenn

Housing Delimas??  Decorating?!?  What is going on here!?!  i though you put up some walls, slapped on a roof and tried to max out the storage and Item count as fast as possible like a self storage unit !!??!!

HAHA j/k folks