Razor CLR 80004005 error fix

Started by Caelan, October 31, 2009, 02:57:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caelan

Okay, I am giving this its very own post because of all the crap I did for what turned out to be a simple fix to get Razor to work when connecting to Sylvan Heart with UOGateway using the Windows XP operating system.

I had overpatched UO and had graphic glitches which made terrain in areas have gaps in the ground and I saw things that where not on our maps in the game. I got tired of the glitches and decided to uninstall and reinstall the game. My game CD apparently died on me, and I couldn't reinstall it. I am on dial up and downloading the game would have taken days for me to do and the files would have been corrupted because of disconnections etc... Acacia, being the Bunny Goddess that she is, sent me a brand new copy of the game for the version I had (UO:SE) and I was able to install it with no problem. *bows and kisses the feet of the Bunny Goddess*

I figured I had somehow corrupted my registry files and went to drastic measures. I did the unthinkable: a reformat of my computer, completely wiping everything out and starting fresh from the ground up.

Now, I have been playing UO for years and I have uninstalled and reinstalled this game more times then I care to mention. So, for those who may be so inclined to ask, this is not my first go round at all of this.

Anyway, I did everything the way I had done it in the past after I reformatted and got my basic programs installed and updated my pc. I downloaded .NET Framework 1.1, installed and updated UO and its patches up to 5.0.6, installed UOGateway, and installed the older version of Razor (1.0.0.20552).

Then, when I tried to connect using UOGateway with Razor, I got the error message *CLR 80004005* for Razor, which promptly terminated Razor and closed it down, yet still allowed me to connect to the shard to play the game.

When I looked for information about this Razor error and asked around, people had told me to go to admin mode and reset the compatibility mode. I was lost, because I misunderstood the whole admin mode thing. I am the only one on my computer, so my pc is always in admin mode for me. I thought people where telling me to somehow set Razor to admin mode, and didn't see that option anywhere in Razor so I couldn't figure out how to change it.

*Edit:This can be found by right clicking the program icon (the ".exe") and selecting "Run as..." and selecting "Administrator". It is not in the properties section, which is where I personally kept looking to change the setting. I did not have to alter this setting myself to fix things.*

Okay, next issue: .NET Framework 1.1

People told me it was a .NET Framework issue. That I must have installed other .NET Framework versions and that was causing the problems. I only needed .NET Framework 1.1 for the game to work, all others would cause me issues and should be uninstalled. Okay, this may be true with Vista *spits* but, it's not true with Windows XP. On my other pc, as well as this one, I had all versions of .NET Framework up to 3.5 installed and never had this problem before. I uninstalled and reinstalled .NET Framework, several times, and still Razor would not work for me.

So, on to the fix...

You go to your Razor icon, right click and scroll down to properties and click on that. Go to the tab that says "Compatibility" and check the box that says "Run this program in compatibility mode for:" and scroll down the list and try ALL of the versions in the list, one at a time, hitting apply and okay for each one as you test it, until you find the one that works for you.

I had already tried all of the compatibility versions except one... Windows NT 4.0 (Service Pack 5). That is the one that eventually worked for me. I had never had Windows NT and on my other pc,  I never had to change the compatibility mode in order to get Razor to work before. I'm still not sure why I had to use it on this pc now, because when I had the game running before the reformat, Razor worked just fine.

Anyway, long story even longer, if you get the Razor "CLR 80004005 error" message, try switching the compatibility mode on Razor, while your computer is in admin mode, to the Razor compatibility mode that works for you.

As long as you have .NET Framework 1.1 installed, it doesn't matter if other .NET Framework versions are installed because they are each separate programs that I am told work independently of each other and should not cause a conflict with the Windows XP operating system and UO.

I have the game patched correctly now, no graphics glitches, and all versions of .NET Framework are installed on my computer up to version 3.5. Razor works, the game works, and now I have all my macros back!

By the way, for all of the problems I encountered, as always, I blame Link!

*laughs like the demented jester that I am!*

Moxy

Knossos

Good to hear you fixed that. I'm at that stage with my vista computer and about to uninstall all . Net versions and install them in order.  Compat modes don't work for me yet :(

Moxy

You can also try adjusting the compatibility modes for gateway as well I think. I cant remember exactly but I think I had to adjust both razor and gateway's compatibilities.

Caelan

Cpt_Starfox

Vista *shudders*

Thanks for all the info Caelan! I might go ahead and add that specific error to the new troubleshooting page on the website - seems like good info. I have the stuff about setting it to "run as admin" and "run in compatibility mode" and all the Framework stuffs, but I didn't have the specific error code number posted on there. I'll go ahead and add it along with a few other notes you've mentioned. Check it out and see what you think.

http://www.sylvandreams.co.uk/index.php?p=20

Caelan

You have a typo on client patching Link...
(Client patcing:First be sure you use Mondain's Legacy (700+MB): Here)

Also, you have this listed, which still bugs me because I didn't figure it out until I read your post and I saw what you meant by accident:

5. Check run as administrator

When you right click on the program icon, on the list of options, there is a selection for "Run as...". This is where you find the option for "The following user:" to change it to "Administrator" and type in your password for your computer, if you have one. It's not in the properties section, were you change the compatibility mode, which was the section I kept looking in to find it.

I didn't have to change this option for my fix, but I am the only one on my computer, so I am the "administrator" already on my pc.

I am not trying to be knit-picky by pointing this out. It's just that it is confusing if you don't know what you are looking for because of the wording and you're freaking out trying to find it like I was.

Great troubleshooting page Link. That will help lots of people!

Cpt_Starfox

Ah, you're right. I wonder why I had it the other way before...  ???  I seem to remember seeing it that way before, but I must be remembering wrong. *shrugs*

Anywho, thanks, and it is fixed now!

Caelan

No problem. Thanks for fixing it!

I'd hate to see someone else go through what I did, and I'm sure this will help to prevent that from happening should they have the same issues.