Black screen of death

Started by Shakka, February 19, 2009, 02:14:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shakka

I'm hoping that's not an appropriate subject line for this situation lol.  I came home from work today and turned on my machine the way I always do and.......the monitor remains black.  Now this has happened in the past on this machine and monitor, many months ago, but my bf at the time was able to finangle around in the back of the machine and got it working again.  I have NO idea what he did to get it working and would like for someone reading this to help me out if they could.  Maybe give me some idea what could be done to it to get the monitor going again if possible.  I hold out hope because like I said it has happened to this machine in the past.  I just wish I had paid attention when my ex fixed it.....

Thanks in advance for any advice!  I want my Sylvan back!!

Shakka

Quezecoatl

most simple thing to do adjust the wires going in and out of it make sure ther firmly in ther could be wire just got loose keeping it from coming on.

Shakka

Yeah we did all that already.  Even unplugged everything and plugged back in, still same black screen :(

Thanks for the suggestion though :)

Quezecoatl

*itchs chin* hrm ive gone through it one time wher i had to dust out the ports wher the wires go in and such also try plugging its power source into a different plug sounds like its not turning on just got to find the reason hopefully it didnt die on ya.

Abbadon

Hmm we need more details. Does the monitor turn on at all? (so does it power up but nothing shows on the screen).

What PC are you using to write this post? If you have another monitor nearby, try plugging that into the CPU and see if that works. If it does, we know that it isnt the computer itself but the moniter (like-wise try plugging in the monitor that shows the black screen onto another PC if possible). This way we can see which part is malfunctioning.

Once we know which part is not working, we can work on fixing it.

Admin Acacia

I had that happen... my monitor was dead, dead.  I had to get a new one. Wide screen, baaaybee.

Never be less than your dreams.

Anagami

Do you have another monitor you can test with? I once had a video card that got in a weird state and was trying to use a very high resolution that my LCD monitor didn't support, even during boot up.  Before buying a new monitor, one last thing to try would be to remove the power cord from the PC and monitor for at least 5 mins, reseat the video card while things are still unlpugged, and power everything up again.
Just as treasures are uncovered from the earth, so virtue appears from good deeds, and wisdom appears from a pure and peaceful mind. To walk safely through the maze of human life, one needs the light of wisdom and the guidance of virtue. -- Buddha

Shakka

Thanks guys, for all your responses!  I'm using my dad's comp lol. 

When I unplug the monitor and plug it back in I get the cable signal somethingorother message on the monitor screen, so it's working.  I actually emailed my ex and he told me pretty much what some of you have said.  Unplug everything, make sure it's plugged back nice n snug and just keep restarting it until it works again lol.  He did the exact same thing to the exact same comp and monitor in question when I lived with him and it did the trick.....several times in fact.  If that doesn't work....then I'll probably be accessing Sylvan and the rest of the Ole Internets from a crummy laptop.  I will try these things tonight or tomorrow night......when I feel like it.  I'm quite tired lol not used to working after being unemployed 5 months.

Again, thank you all and see you soon (I hope).

Shakka

Weeeeee fixed!

Jiggled, jangled, unplugged, blew dust out, restarted, restarted again.  It works now lol.  Thanks to all for suggestions :)  Hopefully it'll not do that for another 6 months....

Abbadon