Too much time on my hands again. Sorry.

Started by TTG, June 08, 2007, 06:01:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TTG

Hello,

Auction:   Tamers can put up super pets, which they submit a book with required skills to hold onto it/transfer it.

Grab options:  Filters... Bow / Gnarled Staffs and break down misc.(like sort)

Sort Options: (Sort Mace Weapon) (Leather Armor)

Connect all skills to combat.. Mining does raise your strength, so a random chance to do 20% more damage, 10% of the time, as if you were working all day and trying to get that last piece of ore out... thinking of passion and will power to be the best miner, and that passion carries over to combat.  That way Crafter and Fighter can be combined.

Like resists and luck are displayed, maybe Total Damage increase, hit increase etc can be displayed and related to an x/y (50/100)

Past memories skill?  I know this is sorta going beyond the means of the game, it'd just nice to have more skill points.  Reasoning?  In combat you still only have 150/150/150.. 1 second is still 1 second.  There is only so much you can do in that one second.  But then this does allow everyone to have parry,weapon,bushido and all the passive skills, so giving those up for taming i guess ... ok nm.  Must be mentioned! :)  Or possible, maybe we could have a stone, like the race stones, that allows us to switch to another skill setup that we previously trained.  Instead of having multiple characters (yes I know about role playing, but switching to a different setup that takes say, 1 minute for transformation, so that it isn't versatile during combat, allows a character to be a .. MASTER OF ALL TRADES.

I am not unhappy at all with the shard, but by nature, I look for ways to change for the possibility of a positive outcome.\

edit: oh yeah, and one super duper big boss, or 2 of them (1 healer, 1 warrior) that takes a group of 10 people or 20 to spend 30 minutes trying to kill :)  That way even the immortals of the game have a challenge :) (btw i am no where near immortal :( i die a lot hehe.

just a few thoughts.  -Ironhand.

Thane ir'Wyndan

Okay while we do appreciate wish lists from players, we like it more when you take the time to look at what is on the shard as well.  Here is my input on the following listed items:

Auctions.. we have pets all the time.

Grab and sort features are already a blessing compared to what I have seen on other places.  Don't be so lazy.

NO higher skill cap of any sort should be added in my opinion.  People are already provided 1200 points and up to 1500 with a donation.  That is more than enough to build a template.

Not all skills should have a connection to combat because not everything need be about combat.  But crafter and fighter can already be combined just fine with the skill cap we have.

I do agree it would be cool to have your other mods listed along with luck and resists.

We have spawn that takes more than one person to kill now, a lot of the fel bosses and spawns take a lot of people quite a while to kill.  Or are you speaking of something more like the Harrower from OSI?

Time is a healer, time is a stealer, time is an angel, time is a devil that burns.
http://s7.bite-fight.us/c.php?uid=91111

TTG

Hello,

I do understand, and I am new to the shard.  I am not lazy, I just figured convenience over laziness because I am a perfectionist.

Haven't been to many auctions because I work a lot.

I understand about the skill cap, had to try.

About the crafting + combat discussion.  I talked to a new player and they told me they had everythying from camping and cooking to swords and parry and even locked meditation and focus at 53 cause they were unsure... sure, maybe ignorance but ... ok, good point.

Based on my own ignorance, I don't know much about fel.  I am just highly excited and happy with the shard, and just like a little kid at xmas, I can't contain myself.

Thanks for the response, and I will do my best to do more research before posting on this wishlist section.

Ironhand.

Forest Rithik

Many bosses of the different towns in Fel are meant to be taken on with groups, some can be soloe'd or used to be able to be solo'ed (I have no idea if said ones still are but I know atleast one was made harder :-) but the main purpose of Fel was to babysit/ cater for Augment players ). Other locations alone are hard enough for a group before even getting to the boss :-P (Cue Skara Brae) and to some extent Trinsic.

There is Anubis aswell in the Desert in Umbra that thing is group orientated :-)

If someone is unsure about skills and templates due to either being new to the game in general or coming from a shard were the skill system is greatly different then although usually its hard to do so (due to considering feeling like a fool) it is still a good idea to approach someone who you remotely feel comfortable around to ask questions about aspects of the game that you are unsure about just so your frustration levels don't get the better of you. Back when I was brand new to the shard (Over 2 years ago now) practically no one asked you if you needed advice and most people had to either take a chance and approach someone who seemed to know what they were doing or use trial and error, these days most long term players will take the forward step and ask you if you need help.

Manamana

meh i would have to argue with thaney on the craft skills linked to combat skills, lumberajcking for examples helps with damge with an axe, andinscription helps with soemkind of magical stuff with spell reflect and the physical damage shield thing so its already seen in game

sewing could maybe increase swing speed ( ever seen how fast those OLD ladies can knit? *dodges a smack from Serenity* )

alchemy could increase casting speed and cooldown ( hav to think fast when mixing volatile chemicals... ask my science techer about the hole n the floor.... and the floor below that... and mr harrisons desk... and poor mr harrison....)

Blacksmithy could add damage to hammer weapons like axes too lumberjacking

Carpentry could add damages to....saws... yes....deadly saws....

begging could add luck maybe for every point of begging skill u get 2 points of luck, not terribly overpowered and possibly useful to someone with an extra 100 points to spend and cant afford the augments

fletching could add damage to archery....

Of course this would allr equire god knows what kind of coding and scripting.... but this is a WISH LIST after all =P not a demand list...

and semi related on a shard i helped as a gm on for awhile we had a coder who worked miracles ( i am sorry  i have earnestly been trying to track him back down for sylvan) we were trying to make skills that werent used viable we made it so gm tracking allowed you to run on foot at the same speed someone could on a horse (which was incredibly well recieved) and detecting hidden gave you a message *You sense something hidden nearby* dpending on your skill level in squares, we had stealthing creatures and even invisible items and buried treasures that could be detected (seperate system then treasure maps )

Forest Rithik

Lumberjacking is a resource gathering skill and not a craft skill reason behind it giving you a slight bonus with true axes is that is helps you further understand how to hold and strike at a target for better effect. Something that say Mining or blacksmithing would not do as hitting things in mining is more random (Hitting a general area/ wall rather then hitting a specific tree) and Blacksmithing isn't about just pounding the item your making until it looks ok its about working heated metal carefully and firmly, only time in blacksmithing is any serious hitting occuring is when your shaping the molten metal. Inscription is an interdisciplinary skill and the reasoning behind the Spell Damage Increase is that you "understand" the spells better and thus can cast them better and more clearly.

If your a beggar you not likely to have been lucky to begin with, otherwise you wouldn't be a beggar to begin with :-/

When it comes to skills such as Bowcraft, Blacksmithing and Carpentry I can only say that in my oppinion the only potential bonus they could give out is lower chance of loosing durability on a weapon made by them if you have them. For example, if your using a bow and have bowcraft you'll loose durability on that weapon less often..etc. Due to knowing about weapon weak points and how not to strike with said weapon.

With regards to the tracking thing, isn't that just a alteration to the old Dex determines movement speed from the old old days of OSI ? on here I could use that to work around one of the main penalties to Liche and Wraith form (Not being able to travel at mounted speed due to not being able to be mounted). We have invisible/ stealth creatures, Orc scouts, Shadow Knight unfortunately there aren't many.

Manamana

Lumberjacking is a resource gathering skill and not a craft skill reason behind it giving you a slight bonus with true axes is that is helps you further understand how to hold and strike at a target for better effect.

-True

Something that say Mining or blacksmithing would not do as hitting things in mining is more random (Hitting a general area/ wall rather then hitting a specific tree)

-Not completely accurate, in true mining you never randomly strike areas. You carefully work inwards watching how the stone is formed, being careful about weak areas and supporting them whle you move deeper. Once ore is found, the larger debri moving tools or set aside and finer gentler tools are used. Much like you see in videos where peopl unearth fossils... but of course no where near that detail.

and Blacksmithing isn't about just pounding the item your making until it looks ok its about working heated metal carefully and firmly, only time in blacksmithing is any serious hitting occuring is when your shaping the molten metal.

-again not entirely true, in old style blacksmithy you work with hammers all your life knowing exactly how to swing them for best affect. Yes when you first start forging your bars of metal its mostly rough pounding to get it into the general shape and stripping away excess material. Once that is done however its actually fairly delicate work, you have to be incredibly accurate where you intend to strike for the most benfit.... I see that skill translating to combat very well.... taking it further you see a blacksmiths knowledge of metal armors allows him to target weak points allowing more damage vs them or even more loss of durability (which i think maces already do if i recall correctly)

Inscription is an interdisciplinary skill and the reasoning behind the Spell Damage Increase is that you "understand" the spells better and thus can cast them better and more clearly.

-Which while true im 99% sure inscription actually doesnt allow more spell damage, while i do think that does make sense... or at least maybe less mana cost, that might be a very useful addition. At least in older UO i believe the only two spells affected by inscription was magical reflection and i that low level physical resist one im at work so cant look ina  spellbook atm)

If your a beggar you not likely to have been lucky to begin with, otherwise you wouldn't be a beggar to begin with :-/

-Successful Beggars often actually choose their vocation, in an UO example, a charismatic newbie can often make more money and get better items sitting at the bank talking to players than trying to hunt on his own, i sure as heck did a time or two myself. In real life there have been quite a few stories on the news of people interviewed who portay homelessness or down on their luck and are actually wealthier then those helping them. I have always seen beggars in UO more like real Bards (not the musical types) a good tale of woe or a funny adventure can often get a great deal of coin.

When it comes to skills such as Bowcraft, Blacksmithing and Carpentry I can only say that in my oppinion the only potential bonus they could give out is lower chance of loosing durability on a weapon made by them if you have them. For example, if your using a bow and have bowcraft you'll loose durability on that weapon less often..etc. Due to knowing about weapon weak points and how not to strike with said weapon.

- I mostly have to disagree, you are putting a little to much realism too a fantasy setting, in real life a fighter with an axe who also knows how to cut down trees wouldnt take off more hitpoints off a real person (joke of course), a lumberjack swing is generally mostly horizontal swings with supplementary 30-45 degree angled ones to help tip it. Such repetive motions may help you build up strength but it wouldnt neccessarily make you hit a living object better. That being said, the examples given were just to utilize otherwise unused or muled skills to make them more desirable on someones MAIN character. They will not translate perfectly to real life, just have enough realism to be plausible

With regards to the tracking thing, isn't that just a alteration to the old Dex determines movement speed from the old old days of OSI ?

- I played from launch and i dont recall dex ever affecting movement speed but then again my memory is absolutely horrific.

on here I could use that to work around one of the main penalties to Liche and Wraith form (Not being able to travel at mounted speed due to not being able to be mounted).

-or people like myself who dislike mounts in general

We have invisible/ stealth creatures, Orc scouts, Shadow Knight unfortunately there aren't many.

-Thaney has said we may see more from felucca ;)

in short to reiterate i think it would be a great idea to make crafting skills have some worthwhile bonuses to the average character so we can phase out muleing a little, just keep an open mind =P

Forest Rithik

Inscription most certainly does add to Spell damage Increase, Skill based SDI but SDI none the less. Forest Ornlu spent along long time working out the mechanics for that and I ran him in the Caster role for 1.5 years. 10% at GM, back then you could not get to 120 in the skill and considering you can these days if they rounded the bonus's accordingly then theoretically you could get 15% - 20% at 120.

If any really old players are still around may remember the number of Inscription, Eval int, damage tests and so on I used to do with other players and myself back in the old days. Aswell as the several thousand 4 property spell books I used to make many of which broke the property intensities that Oak originally coded in :-P

In  True mining you strike the general area of the vein of Ore, the vein is usually not as obvious or apparant in its positioning as a tree is and as a result in order to extract an Ore you usually do have to strike in a less then specific parts to get at the vein and thus more randomised pattern of striking occurs. Once a vein as seemingly shrank or dried up you prospect for potential new spots then you clear away all crap ore/ uninteresting material making up part of the wall until you either get bored, find a new vein or have the mine blow up/ collapse on you.

In Blacksmithing (they taught this in the same building most of my College courses where at) and I had friends who did it, you do not just bash the hell out of the item/s your making thus it would not make sense for it to add to the damage you do, as if it did logic would dictate that the smith breaks everything he/ she attempts to make :-P. What you said backs up my original paragraph on Smithing and also my oppinion that the craft skills would allow one to use a weapon or item longer before it broke as they would know how to take better care of said weapon due to more accurate usage and better understanding of said weapon. Weak points in opponents armours can't always be garunteed to be in the same place for everyone, flaws can appear/ remain hidden in any part of any clothing, armour or weapon. Because obviously flawed items are never really considered for use or melted down/ Recycled only harder to notice/ formerly unconcerning/ unnoticable flaws would make it through. You would have to see what armour they have where each part of it is on said person (no one size fits all guff) and that whole thing would be made very difficult if said person is wearing a Cape and a robe (All my characters wear them, a Skirt, 2 shirts (one under/ one over and Thigh boots).

All mace class weapons do accelerated amounts of Durability damage, aswell as doing slightly more Stamina damage then other weapons do to an opponent when they are struck.

You completely miss the point about the begging thing. Beggars didn't become beggers because they were or are lucky, they where either not careful about what they were doing or just outright unlucky. Having been homeless for a year myself I have personal experiance and met people from all sorts of backgrounds. Wealthy "Homeless" people aren't usually down and outs, as you said they are people faking homelessness for various "Media based experiments", it does not make sense to live homeless or as a down and out if you have the means to support yourself or help people who don't have the luxury. They do it to find out why people become homeless, Homeless peoples stories, what things they go through and how some of  them managed to get off the streets. Most Homeless people are definitely not giving the best choice in jobs, when I was homeless I had 2 A's (Biology and Chemistry A-Level) and 3 B's (Geography, Geology and Environmental Science) and a Certificate in Environmental Preservation the country was doing a big push to get people into science based jobs, programs revolving around the conservation of the natural environment. I applied for a broad range of what was available after finding a hostel that would allow me to use them as a fixed address for mail, all rejected on the basis of not having stable enough accommodation otherwise for several I would have been hired.

*Can't get most jobs without your own accommodation* *Can't get accommodation until you have the means of paying for it*

Yes in a game you can choose your vocation as easily as the next person as we all have to work towards it ourselves and there is less reliance on other people ingame then in reality.

People in real life, simply do not say on Career day, jee you know what...think I'm just going to bum on the streets until I am 30, get married get a house and then start a family and all will be fine.

In the end I had the following jobs available to me based on help from an outreach program (Cleaning, Groundskeeping, Refuse collecting on the streets and low end gardening) everyone in the outreach program was doing one of those jobs even the people with degrees in international banking, Medicine and so on.

Beggars in UO as you see them would be either minstrels or bard minstrels or going further back, Shapers.

Real people don't have HP :-P, Trees are living things..
Lumberjacks while they are working on standing trees may strike basically horizontally, but when further cutting down parts of the tree or removing sections of felled trees the strike is more then likely to be diagonal or vertical in nature.

Running around in Lich form or in Wraith form at the speed of a steed was never intended as part of the balancing factors around it was to be the slot movement speeds being on foot created in order to help offset the bonus's. I wouldn't mind running in Lich form or Wraith form at the speed of a mounted players :-D. Stealthing around on foot at Mounted-Walking speeds wouldn't hurt my Event/ PvP character especially when they Necromorph hehe.

I fully expect there to be more, stealthing things. I am usually present during most monster Beta tests along with players famous for using other templates and so on and would be surprised as much as they would be if there wasn't any added in.

I do have an open mind, I'm just not reckless in thought when it comes to testing changes and so on if I was, the shard would be full of things like Anubis, Fel-Buc's Pirate captain and the proper version of the Demon Knight in Skara and there would only be Pre-AoS gear :-P

But in the long run further discussion on this nature is fairly pointless as I am unlikely to change my opinions on these matters.