Hurricane Ike

Started by Erif, September 12, 2008, 01:07:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Erif

As of 7 p.m. CDT September 11 (0000 UTC September 12), Hurricane Ike is located within 10 nautical miles of 26.2°N 89.9°W, about 475 mi (760 km) east-southeast of Corpus Christi, Texas and about 370 mi (595 km) southeast of Galveston, Texas. Maximum sustained winds are 85 knots (100 mph, 155 km/h), with stronger gusts. Minimum central pressure is 954 mbar (hPa; 28.17 InHg), and the system is moving west-northwest at 10 kt (12 mph, 19 km/h).

Ike is an extremely large hurricane; hurricane-force winds extend out up to 115 mi (185 km) from the center of Ike, and tropical storm-force winds extend out up to 275 mi (445 km) from the center.

Storm surge flooding up to 20 feet (6.1 m) is expected near and to the east of where Ike makes final landfall, except at some heads of bays where storm surges as high as 25 feet (7.6 m) are possible. Rainfall amounts of 5 to 10 inches (125 to 250 mm) are expected in eastern Texas and western Louisiana, with isolated amounts to 15 inches (375 mm) possible.

Well, looks like this is going to be a doozy. There seems to be no escaping this one, as we did with Hurricane Gustav. The county I live in is going to be on the "dirty side" of the hurricane, wich is the east side. It is the most potent side to be on. From what I last heard, Ike is 214 miles wide, wich makes it a massive hurricane, it is so big that, compared to the state of Texas, Ike is almost as big. The good news is, cause it is such a huge hurricane, it is using all its energy to maintain its size, thats it not able to strengthen, although it is forcasted to do some strengthening up to a Category 3 before it makes landfall, it won't get above that.

The impact that I will feel will be, Hurricane force winds of 60 mph, with gusts of up to 70 or higher, alot, alot, alot of rain, and possible tornados. Im not sure if I will be able to keep power, more than likely I will not have a show on Sunday as well. We are prepared here, as much as can be expected.

Alaric McCree

Stay safe, our thoughts and prayers are with you and yours.
Sometimes the dragon wins, that's why there is such a shortage of white knights.

Mina

;)  aye be carefull all over there,  *squishes stupid fly*

Marlenus

Hmmm... 60mph winds? PARAFOIL TIME!!!!  ;D

Seriously, though, I hope that everyone in the path keeps safe and comes out with homes and health intact.
The shovel does not actually hit the ground or the stone or the cave floor.. nor does the fishing pole hit the water. There is no spoon.. *puts on Matrix sunglasses*

Erif

well, so far im still here. Ike has made landfall, and is still a category 2 hurricane, it has gotten bigger since I started this post. The winds have begun to pick up, so far our gusts have reached 40mph, and by late morning, the worst is due to hit, we are now expected to get winds of 70mph sustained with gusts of up to 80-90 mph. Just an update for you all, and thank you for keeping us in your thoughts. I will keep giving updates as long as I have electricity.

Aesa

Two questions:

1. Where do you live?
2. Why haven't you gone somewhere safer?

Ponch16

Erif called me earlier today he said he made it through the hurricane in one piece but several power lines in the area are down and they havent given them a time frame for repairs. He said a few trees got knocked outta place too and some roof damage was apparent, he hopes to be online late sunday or early monday.
If it won't work hit it with a hammer.....If that doesn't work....hit it with a BIGGER hammer... - Pablo Enesow

Mina

:D   one week soon hopefully there will be no natural disasters going on and we can once again listen to his radio show,  LOL :P

Erif

Well, Im back, it was one heck of a storm, we had 70mph sustained winds with gusts of 90+. We had numereous downed trees, and powerlines, transformers were exploding left and right. I have sustained some roof damage to my home, but nothing protruded thru. I just got power back today some time! I am extremely happy for that. 2 of my neighbors had oak trees on their houses, the good thing is no one was hurt. As far as I know hurricane Ike claimed the life of 38 people and had a path of destruction 1200miles long, from Galveston, Tx. to New York state. Was not fun, and I hope we don't have another one like that for a long time.

Admin Acacia

I live in northern Indiana, a long way from Texas, but we had 11 inches of rain over the weekend from Ike.  Damaged roads, flash flooding, all kinds of fun stuff.   Glad to see you are back in one piece.  Hope we can hear from Caelan soon.

Never be less than your dreams.

Alaric McCree

The remenants of Ike came through  here in central New York and knocked down trees and power lines. But it was nothing like what y'all had down there. I am glad your doing well.
Sometimes the dragon wins, that's why there is such a shortage of white knights.