Server down

Started by Cypress, September 05, 2013, 10:46:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cypress

We're aware of it, and Llewelyn is on it and hopefully will have it up and going soon :)

Cypress

As you've probably noticed, it is back up and running! Thanks again Llewelyn! :)

Llewellyn

Fellow Sylvanites,

Once again I come to you all, hat in hand, to apologize for the downtime that we have been experiencing. Those unlucky (or lucky) individuals who were online yesterday when I had to take the server down were undoubtedly worried by the hastily scribbled message that I broadcast to the entire server:
"Emergency server shutdown, Get safe. I will try an bring it back up as soon as possible."

This was brought about by the column of smoke and all to characteristic "burning Bakelite" smell that was wafting from the innards of the holder of our world (I have named the server Atlas by the way). Come to find out that a RAM stick had wormed its way out of the socket during the course of the 154 days of continuous server uptime* that we had been blessed with. Needless to say Atlas was down for the count.

*ISP issues non-withstanding

It took me several hours last night, but I managed to clean out the RAM socket and re-solder some replacement leads and got everything working again. Things are not 100% at the moment, but they are good enough that I am confident in Atlas bearing our world for the time being.

I also want to take the time to mention my thanks to those who have been generous enough to donate to keeping Atlas fed and our world going. Thanks to the funding that I have on hand I am looking to get a replacement motherboard so that we can return to 100% stability.

Festus

Quote from: Llewellyn on September 06, 2013, 08:40:43 PM
Fellow Sylvanites,

Once again I come to you all, hat in hand, to apologize for the downtime that we have been experiencing. Those unlucky (or lucky) individuals who were online yesterday when I had to take the server down were undoubtedly worried by the hastily scribbled message that I broadcast to the entire server:
"Emergency server shutdown, Get safe. I will try an bring it back up as soon as possible."

This was brought about by the column of smoke and all to characteristic "burning Bakelite" smell that was wafting from the innards of the holder of our world (I have named the server Atlas by the way). Come to find out that a RAM stick had wormed its way out of the socket during the course of the 154 days of continuous server uptime* that we had been blessed with. Needless to say Atlas was down for the count.

*ISP issues non-withstanding

It took me several hours last night, but I managed to clean out the RAM socket and re-solder some replacement leads and got everything working again. Things are not 100% at the moment, but they are good enough that I am confident in Atlas bearing our world for the time being.

I also want to take the time to mention my thanks to those who have been generous enough to donate to keeping Atlas fed and our world going. Thanks to the funding that I have on hand I am looking to get a replacement motherboard so that we can return to 100% stability.

hehe Odd that I had a short discussion with Cypress the other day about hardware.  : ) happy times