[Migration] Server returns to its normal home.

Started by Llewellyn, November 13, 2013, 04:38:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Llewellyn

Atlas is back in business!

After MUCH consternation with my Internet Service Provider (ISP) I think that the issues I was having over the past few months with the random disconnects and internet-drops has been fixed.
It took a total of:
> Escalation to Level 2, Level 3, and Level 4 customer support (whatever that means aside from talking with different people when I call)
> 7 ISP Technician visits who ranged from completely clueless to half-way intelligent.
Telecom technician who came out and climbed the power pole next to my house and opened up the neighborhood distribution-header
> Plant technician who came out and traced the lines back to the city distribution-header.
> All-in-all I replaced (had replaced) all the Coaxial cable from my router to the house-box, Replaced all the barrels and the wall-socket, Replaced my router and modem, Replaced a barrel at the power-pole, replaced two signal filters at the pole and at the neighborhood distribution-header. Also the Plant Technicians replaced stuff but I never heard what it was.
> ~3 months, and a partridge in a pear tree. (getting in the season early)

tl;dr
Server Migration back to my house Tomorrow Night (Wednesday ~6:30 CST).
So expect the server to be down for at the most 4 hours.
I had to spend $128.43 of your donation money. Thanks again guys for the support!

Llewellyn

Llewellyn

I would also like to take a moment to thank my best buddy Knossos for his assistance during all of my ISP woes.

Everyone should take a moment to let him know how much they appreciated him being able to step in and keep the lights on while I was unable to.
Literally saved the shard...

L

Iris

I would like to Thank Knossos and Llewellyn, for all they have done for this shard. I have known them both for several years, they have always been dedicated to making sure that this shard stays up and running. and I know it has not always been easy for them. but they stood by us, and took care of any problems big or small, they have been there making sure that we have this wonderful place to come to. these two men and Cypress has all gone above and beyond the call of duty to keep our lands safe and running as best they can, and I Apprceate each and every one of them and the work they do here.
     I would also like to thank all the players that we have here on Sylvan. with out you this shard would not be the place that it is. I honestly believe we have the greatest player base of any Shard. Sylvan Heart is just a great place to be, Thank you all

will parrish

I too would like to send a special Thank You to Knossos for his help when I was having issues logging in. He jumped on ICQ and we chatted my way in game. Not many people would do that except for the ones I have found here on Sylvan. You all (Staff) are truly what the meaning of family really is.

On a side note. I can honestly say since joining here I have not read alot about the main page until today. I see that some of you have shared your real life beliefs and I want to say that I commend you for that. In the world we live in today not many folks dare do that. Myself included. We all need to strive to be better at that.

Anyways thanks again Knossos. Thanks to all staff for making us the close nit family we enjoy all the time.

Knossos

I'm not really even staff, so I appreciate hearing my sacrifices weren't in vain.

Thank you for the kind remarks. I had my fun on SH and glad I can still give here and there.

Who knows, I might be back sooner or later, or hosting again.  Always a pleasure.

Cypress

Your sacrifices were by far not in vain :) Thank you VERY much for all you have done to keep things running, Knossos, both now during this time and in times past. For the record and so everyone knows, you've helped us greatly more times that just recently. Thank you :)

And as always, thank you to you too Llewellyn. I'm glad your persistence paid off! You're a great host and friend who has been with us through thick and thin! :)

You've both done fantastic - thank you both!

Knossos

Server is currently down and is being migrated.  Please stand by.

Alaric McCree

A huge thank you to both of you!!  You guys rock!!
Sometimes the dragon wins, that's why there is such a shortage of white knights.

Llewellyn

Server has been migrated successfully.

No problems so far, but if anyone encounters one be sure to slay it.
And then report on the forums.

Llewellyn

Festus

Quote from: Llewellyn on November 14, 2013, 03:01:31 AM
Server has been migrated successfully.

No problems so far, but if anyone encounters one be sure to slay it.
And then report on the forums.

Llewellyn
only thing noticed so far is save times are around 5 seconds, up from 2.5 ish but its not a prob as the server don't seem to crash now.  *knocks on wood*

Knossos

Heyyyy... the server only chain-crashed when I tried to run it on linux with out recompiling it :(

The average up time was in the 3-5 day range unless I had to restart it manually :(