Razor Issues -unhandled exception

Started by Aesa, July 10, 2007, 08:17:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aesa

All of a sudden Razor decides to mess up on me.  Can anyone decipher this error message for me and suggest a fix?

Unhandled exception:

System.ArgumentException: The output char buffer is too small to contain the decoded characters, encoding 'Unicode (UTF-8)' fallback 'System.Text.DecoderReplacementFallback'.
Parameter name: chars
   at System.Text.Encoding.ThrowCharsOverflow()
   at System.Text.Encoding.ThrowCharsOverflow(DecoderNLS decoder, Boolean nothingDecoded)
   at System.Text.UTF8Encoding.GetChars(Byte* bytes, Int32 byteCount, Char* chars, Int32 charCount, DecoderNLS baseDecoder)
   at System.Text.DecoderNLS.GetChars(Byte* bytes, Int32 byteCount, Char* chars, Int32 charCount, Boolean flush)
   at System.Text.DecoderNLS.GetChars(Byte[] bytes, Int32 byteIndex, Int32 byteCount, Char[] chars, Int32 charIndex, Boolean flush)
   at System.Text.DecoderNLS.GetChars(Byte[] bytes, Int32 byteIndex, Int32 byteCount, Char[] chars, Int32 charIndex)
   at System.IO.BinaryReader.InternalReadOneChar()
   at System.IO.BinaryReader.Read()
   at System.IO.BinaryReader.PeekChar()
   at Ultima.StringList..ctor(String language)
   at Assistant.Language.Load(String lang)
   at Assistant.Engine.Main(String[] Args)

neohaven

Hello Aesa,

If I recall correctly, that bug was a problem with some encoding between the client and razor. Does it crash everytime you start it, or does it rather crash from time to time?

If it crashes everytime, reinstalling Razor will do. Remember to save your macros, agents, and any other scripted helpers and reinstall them later.

Most certainly this is due to a macro or something that has too much characters in it to be typed, UO refuses to let it in, and Razor crashes as a consequence of that. This has been fixed later on in the releases after 1.0. But upgrading is not an option. Si just limit the size of your speech macros or the size of the [commands in your macros.

Have a good day,

Neohaven

Aesa

I had tried uninstalling and reinstalling it and I get the same error every time.  I even let my macros be deleted the second time trying to reinstall.  Most of my macros are in UO itself and not Razor, so it wouldn't have been too difficult to redo them.  I really only use Razor on my staff account to force the window size bigger.

Have any ideas why a reinstall didn't fix it?

Mirage

kathymarie

well it looks like i have the same problem also

Aesa

It seems that the latest Windows update did something to mess with Razor.  Because I tried reinstalling and everything.  I did a system recovery to a date before the last windows update, which was installed on Tuesday.  And it worked.  I turned off Windows Auto Update and will just hope that I don't miss anything critical.

TTG

Hello,

Not everyone can afford to do a system restore.  Thus, I will be looking into getting around that and getting razor to work.  Will keep you posted.

P.S. I've always used Uo Assist in my past.  I found this site that lets UOAssist work with freeshards (Sphere).  Any idea if anyone has gotten UOAssist to work with this server?  Would be awesome:

http://uo.wireplay.co.uk/index.php?p=downloads

Ironhand

kathymarie

I can't do a systym restore either so hopefully there is another fix.

ShadowStone

I have the same problem.  Any solutions that anyone could think of would be appreciated (without doing a system restore).

~SS
It is better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you are not.

Alder Ogham

The answer is that there is no answer.

Zippy (Razor's Creator) has stated on the Razor forum that he won't support the older version of razor, and the newer version won't support gateway, so that's limbo.  Which means your option is to use the new version of razor and ConnectUO (with it's buggy clothing).

ShadowStone

It is better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you are not.

TTG

Ok, I found out how to fix this problem, since wintermoon complained to me to figure it out so she could have the automatic In Lor spell :P

#1: turn off automatic updates
#2: uninstall microsoft framerate update to 2.0 which is can only been seen if you click on the show updates under add/remove programs.

I also uninstalled other secruity updates under windows ,but when I did this one, it worked.

Latas

Ironhand

Mirage

*Tackles and hugs Ironhand like there is no tomorrow* THANK YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

kathymarie

I dont know if anyone still has any problems with razor but i accidentally fixed mine.  I had to install net framework 1.1 for another program I needed and then  razor just started working again.

lenin1928