Account Security

Started by Admin Acacia, October 27, 2007, 03:05:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admin Acacia

Sylvan is a pretty secure world, but you never know when danger might lurk around the corner.   As with anything, we advise that you NEVER give out your account information or password to ANYONE.

That being said, it also might be good for you to change your passwords from time to time.  If you have set your magic word, you can change your own password with [pw set command.   You may also feel free to PM me with a request to change your password.  I would just need your account name and the new password you would like.

Never be less than your dreams.

Knossos

From a security standpoint it is much more secure to have a longer, more complicated password then change it more often.  Changing it means you are more likely to write it down and therefore make it less secure.   In case you are unaware, here are some password basics:

• NEVER use words, family members, pets, or locations in your password.  Anything that can be found in a dictionary can be hacked easily.  This even goes for "leeting" it by replacing letters with numbers.
  • There are 4 character classes, use them to your advantage, which are:  Upper case, lower case, numbers, and symbols (shift+numbers).  It is EXPONENTIALLY more difficult to crack a password though force for each type of class you use.  You are best off using all 4 and have it shorter then 2 and having it longer.
  • Typical UNIX systems only hold up to 8 characters for the password (this has been fixed on many of them though).  I would therefore recommend that your password be at LEAST this long, if not longer.  Again, longer makes the complexity of cracking it increase but not nearly as fast as by adding a new character class.

To make remembering passwords easier, you can use a mnemonic system such as this one:

Password: Ss$sDb7SS
Mnemonic: SHE sells sea shells DOWN by the SEA SHORE

This isn't a good password due to how repetitive it is, and it's on a public forum so don't use (PLEASE).  It was designed to show you how you can make complex passwords easier to remember.

-Knossos

Andro

/changes password to Ss$sDb7SS

Iggy