Gremlins in my keyboard

Started by Valkiera, March 01, 2010, 06:48:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valkiera

Okay, so maybe someone here can help, since I know we have some smart and tech savvy folks.

I was in the process of building some macros this weekend, and kept having strange things happen. I built a macro, cast spell Divine Fury, and assign it to F1. Test it, okay that works... I go on with F2, F3, go to build one for F4, when I hit F4 it shows as F1. Okkaayyy, what the heck??!?! So I try F5, that comes up as Esc, F6 as F3 and F7 as F2, then F8 through F12 are fine. Anyone have a clue what the issue may be? I have a Logitech G15 v1 keyboard http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Logitech_Gaming-Keyboard_G15.jpg , it had previously worked fine. Though this may explain some recent deaths in another game... I'm wondering if my keyboard is just dying on me, after all it is about 4 years old, and had lots of games played on it.

Also, does anyone have any recommended key settings/layout they use? I've always had the G15 so had the 18 programmable keys, made things very easy. I grabbed an old keyboard and am trying to use it, but after being spoiled for so long, I'm struggling to reach across all the F keys, let alone if I assign one with Atl+Fx, or Ctrl+Fx.

Thanks everyone,
Hay

Knossos

I can't be really sure, but check to make sure that your keyboard layout is selected properly in the control panel (Keyboards I think?).  Bad mappings are often just a mis-configured keyboard, like you're running a european key layout, or spanish, or something else.  Some of them are literally exactly the same except some random keys are flipped.

Valkiera

Thanks for the idea, I'll check when I get home. I really really...di I say really... like this keyboard. They don't make anything like it currently, with the 18 keys that is. I'd hate to have to go searching on E-bay for one.

Hay

Valkiera

I think I've done all I can to eliminate any possible conflicts in my system. I cleaned my registry, incase something was messed up there. Everything in the system recognizes the G15, as an American English board, yet the F keys are still messed up.

Connected an old keyboard and the F keys are represented correctly. So it looks like the search begins for a new Logitech Keyboard. Seems they don't currently make any with the 18 programmable keys, hopefully New Egg, Tiger, or some other online store has some.

Thanks to all that gave me some advice,
Hay

Crimson

You know, I have a keyboard that has similar problems with it when I try assigning macro's to the F keys in Sylvan. I don't use it anymore because of that reason. I don't know the specifics on the keyboard like model number off hand but I'm pretty sure it too is a Logitech. It's nothing like yours, but the reason I had bought it was because of it's built in usb hub right in the keyboard, just so I wouldn't have to keep plugging in my usb flash drive in the back of my case all the time.
It worked great outside UO, but as soon as I started adding macro's it got all funky on me with the darn F keys. I just figured it had something to do with it's configuration because of the usb hub installed in it that created the issues I was having. Even when I had Karina check it out she couldn't figure out what was wrong. So I just went and bought another keyboard and got myself a usb hub with a long cord to plug in the back of my case to ease my headaches. The keyboard now collects dust hehe.
"Some mornings, it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps."
Emo Philips.

Valkiera

How very interesting... I've posted for advice on a Logitech forum, I'll see if they have any ideas. But you may have come across the real issue. Mine too has the USB ports in the keyboard. Perhaps that is part of the issue. I'll keep you posted if I get it working, maybe it will work for your Logitech too  :)  I do like how this keyboard types, so I'm trying to find a fix, rather then replace. Not to mention I can't find a current Logitech with the 18 programable keys. I'm sure I'd die even more in UO using a standard keyboard and trying to hit F-keys.

I have noticed as of late, my Num / seems to work like a right click in any window. So it may just be a 5 year old keyboard on it's last legs.

Thanks all,
Hay/Val