Analysis of the metal

Started by Thane ir'Wyndan, August 14, 2009, 12:54:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thane ir'Wyndan

This letter is to give my summation of what I have learned about the strange metal wire that was brought to my attention some days past.  My study is not complete but I did promise to keep you all up to date on what I know.

So far I have learned the following facts:

1.  It is dense and strong for its size but seems almost unnaturally flexible and light.  If it was in ingot or sheet form instead of this wire I theorize it would make the armor that the guard Remy spoke to me of last month.

2.  After some work with it was done it started to become resistant to the tools I was using on it.  Eventually I found that some small application of magic made it workable again.  I am unsure why this is.

3.  The metal started to break down after I had tried to temper it with heat and other such processes.  It is my belief that this current alloy is unstable or imperfect.

4.  There is some evidence that certain people might be almost allergic to this substance but this requires more study.  For now I chalk it up to the weak constitution of my assistant Pasquale.

5.  I have isolated a mixture of valorite, blood and what I think is crushed rubies so far.  There still seem to be at least traces of a half dozen other materials that I am waiting to name.

I shall send further information once I have learned more about this substance.  I eagerly await a sample of the raw ore to further my work.

Time is a healer, time is a stealer, time is an angel, time is a devil that burns.
http://s7.bite-fight.us/c.php?uid=91111

Skynar

Hey, I wondered who stole my Calgon!

Thane ir'Wyndan

I received a visit from our friend Remy again this week.  It seems he somehow came into a sample of strange liquid he wanted me to study.  It seems very similar to the wire you have provided me before.  It is thick and slightly warm.  Any manner of liquid I attempted to introduce to the substance proved unreactive until a slight accident by my apprentice resulted in some blood hitting the liquid.

A most intriguing result and so a favorable accident!  The liquid almost seemed to gobble up the blood.  As it did the liquid cooled slightly and started to thicken.  After a noble donation from my apprentice, we found that immersion in blood seems to cool and harden the liquid and prepare it for forging.  Again I will need more of the substance to further my testing but I wanted to update you on what I had found so far.  I eagerly await the return of more materials to further my studies.

Georgius Agricola

Time is a healer, time is a stealer, time is an angel, time is a devil that burns.
http://s7.bite-fight.us/c.php?uid=91111