Donation Chests

Started by Woede, August 14, 2009, 11:02:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woede

As we all know, the donation chests are where we put spare items for new players to use. If you are one of the players who donates nice items, you have my thanks and the rest of this post is not directed at you.

I looked in them today as I was dropping off some donations and noticed some really really bad items. To illustrate, I saw a (non-exceptional) pair of ringmail gloves with +1 stamina, and a completely normal mace( non-exceptional, no added stats, nothing), the kind of thing you might loot from a mongbat in the newbie dungeon. There were 20-30 weapons in each weapon bag and the majority were very poor quality.

I also noticed in the bag for Bracelets, THREE bracelets with absolutely no stats. Why would anyone donate an item that takes an equipment slot, but has no stats? Who would want to "accept" that donation?

For myself, I choose items for the donation chest when they are good, but not so good I'd want to keep them around. I've put (and see others put) very decent jewelry, weapons and armor in there.

Please, lets try to put at least moderately useful items in there. Don't use it as a place to empty out your packs.

Remember, for many people, the donation chests will be one of the first places they visit upon arriving. The quality of the items in there may very well be the "first impression" they get of the shard.

Skynar

Agrees with you 100 percent,  From time to time I go through it and junk all the cruddy items and refill with decent stuff I have laying around. If everyone could do that  It would be great. Almost 2 years ago when I started this shard it was always full of great stuff. it has since declined. :(   This shard needs to get back to giving more  and helping more.   I miss those days.

Woede

On an additional note, I just went to add some earrings and got the message "That container cannot hold any more items".

Someone had donated a bag full of spell scrolls. In theory, that's a decent idea, but once they hit the donation box, their name is changed from "Greater Heal" to "Donated" so no one can tell which spell is which.

Another bag had 125 normal clothing items. Shoes, hats, robes. Again, nothing wrong in theory with donating a few of those I guess, but filling up the chest with so many of them we can't add useful items makes it a bad thing.

Aesa

I used to on a regular basis clean out all the junk from the chests.  But... I have not been in game in a while and I'm sure all the junk has piled up.  I might try to hop in game some time soon (if the kids will let me lol) and clean them out.

Thane ir'Wyndan

Already cleaned out no worries.   :P

Time is a healer, time is a stealer, time is an angel, time is a devil that burns.
http://s7.bite-fight.us/c.php?uid=91111

Woede

And a very fine job was done too!

Now we just need to fill them back up with semi-decent items :).

Skynar

Looks like ill go digging through my stuff and see what I can find  hehe

Admin Acacia

*grumbles about those chests and how often she's thought of removing them.*

Never be less than your dreams.

Woede

Might be reasons to do that, but when I speak to new players it is always something they mention as being a nice thing.

I'm sure the same thing could be accomplished with free items on vendors or asking someone for a fencing weapon, but it can be hard to find the right vendor as it is, and I know I'd not want to start playing and go begging from the other players.

Woede

Just wanted to mention, looked in the chests again yesterday.

First, there are some very nice items of all types in there, very suitable for a new player to use. Thanks to everyone who helped out with that.

Unfortunately, there were also some very bad items mixed in again. Simple (normal) weapons with no special effects or damage bonus, same with armor and shields.

Please, try to place nicer items in the boxes.

Everyone is different, but I'll give you the rule I use for the boxes. I have a certain level of item I think is worth keeping for my own use, or selling. Anything that I am "on the fence" about keeping, I put in the box. That means the item will be useful, but not incredible. I don't place incredible items into the boxes because our crafters and merchants deserve to be able to get a fair price for items they sell.

I think of the donation boxes in the same way I think of starting characters getting a bump to their STR/DEX/INT. You still have to work on them to get them up, as you should. Same with the box, it's a little helping hand to get you on your way to be able to attain the really nice items.

Crimson

My guess would be that the person or persons who are putting the cruddy items into the chests aren't reading the forums. Maybe a gentle reminder in game using the town crier or a simple sign by the chests for a brief time might help out those who don't come read the forums often.
"Some mornings, it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps."
Emo Philips.

Skynar

Not worth the headache guys. I have found its just easier to remove the junk items.

A bunch of leather armor was put in there. they are all decent pieces.   We do not want to have steller items or even sorta steller items.  This is a donation box. Just put in there whatever unless its something you can buy off a vendor.    simple as that.  And if you think something is junk then remove it. but keep in mind that the next person may not think its junk.