We Need You!

Started by Caelan, November 10, 2009, 02:01:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caelan

Moxy

I agree with you Caelan, it is nice to see a post to confirm if the shard is down. However, once the shard is back up, whom ever is in charge of moderating the boards should consider deleting these crash topics.  Theres tons of them, and honestly that would scare me away if I didnt know better.  Like I said this is a very stable shard and I have no complaints there at all, but its all about perception.  I havent played in like two weeks and I look at the forums and see about 8 or 9 different Crash topics so to me, not knowing one way or another because I havent been on, it appears like the server has been down a ton. Although I doubt this is actually the case.  Its all about perception.  The forums are defining factor for many in coming players. I spent two days monitoring the boards for activity before I joined this shard. If there was half a dozen crash topics posted during those two days, I wouldnt of even bothered applying for an account.

Moxy

ps...I want to see more scheduled Role Playing events. I know it has been announced that it will kick off again after the holidays so Im very anxious for that.  However, thats like a 4 month gap of no role playing events, and personally that was my main reason for joining this shard.  My hat goes off to the few of us out there that actually do some minor role playing in our every day conversations, Bill and Link come to mind, and there are a few others.  Its very easy to lose steam and motivation for it though when there is no organized role playing.  Every game of dungeons and dragons needs a Dungeon Master regardless of how many players you have.
This is in no way meant to be a bash on the staff though.  I think you guys do a spectacular job running and maintaining this shard, and there is no shortage of Paintball, and holiday events.  This shard is labeled as a Role Playing shard though, so naturally alot of Role Players are going to congregate here, serious and casual alike.  I did quite a bit of quest GMing back in the day so I would be more then willing to help out with quick little story ideas that take very little work on a GM's part and can be setup in game without the need for a scriptor.  I used to hassle alot of the other GM's on my old shard that said they couldnt do quests and I would say to them,"If you can make a gate, and name an item, you can make a fun quest." It doesnt have to be super hard with some awe inspiring monster that requires some new found strategy, it doesnt have  to be scheduled, and it doesnt have to have some crazy loot that throws off player balance.  It just needs to be a group of players working together with the staff to do something different, something to break the monotony that so plagues us devoted MMO gamers.  If you need any ideas throw me a line, I can think of half a dozen memorable ones I ran from ages ago, and one of them even included killer bunnies....go figure =P

Caelan

I see your point grasshopper...I shall commence with removing old crash topics!

I'm new to moderating the shard forums and so I blame Link...

Cuz I can!

*carry on*

Cpt_Starfox

Sounds cool Moxy! I think that would be wonderful. I also kinda like the idea of just random little RP events... nothing big or anything like you said, but just people working together and having a good time! :) I can remember having done at least one "off the cuff" RP story with a GM - Thane I think it was. It was nothing major, not even anything long or shard-shatteringly epic lol, but it was sure enjoyable!

We did get to have one shard wide rpish event thing recently with the cities being taken over by the undead - that was also a lot of fun and the epic pit for the ending was great :D Thanks to Myrick for that one ;)

I'd like to hear some of your ideas! I'm thinking that if we can get a group of us in game, we might could bribe a gm to put something on for us random style hehe  8) - no i don't mean bribe literally *hoards his junk and guards it closely* hehe

Moxy

One thing I was always fond of doing as a quest gm that was pretty simple was, I would name myself something peasanty, and just say over general chat "Someone help, there are bandits in my home!" I would then have the players gather together, follow me to my characters home, where they would commence to slay the rather easy bandits. During the fighting I would go invis, change into an evil wizard, pop back up, throw a few lightnin bolts, and then drop a gate to a cool unique area in game.  Some of the hidden caves and such work great.  Places players might not usually know about, or find on their own.  This area would be pre-spawned with some tougher monsters, and an actual npc named after the aforementioned wizard. That wizard would have something neat on him, like a cool named wand, or just some random weapon that was moderatly powerful, but not unfairly so.  This entire "event" would last all but 10-15 minutes, with a good portion of that being the race to the original characters home, or farm, or whatever.  People would always get left behind, and then the other players would have to either move on without them, or work together to get them caught up.  It creates a frantic, faced paced sort of action that keeps people on their toes.  This was pre aos so loot situation would have to be modified slightly because of the whole "this corpse does not belong to you" deal. The item could be dropped by the invis GM half a screen away from the group, so everyone has to rush to get it.  This allows even the weakest participant a chance to get something cool.  Also the monsters were not difficult in any sence of the word.  I didnt want people dying on my little role playing events, I wanted them feeling like champions! and actually having a good time doing it.  Then if you have some time Lord British could invite the crime fighters to his castle for a small feast and you could pass out other small rewards or even just special named food items, based on the difficulty, and length of the quest.  Often times if I had alot of time these little mini events would last through 3-5 different locations, each progressively harder and harder.  It never took me more then 20 minutes to get one of these things going and it was always a blast. 

Mina

hey guys,
  to answer the original question posted...  me personaly am just having such a hard time with everything that i can never seem to get online n play,   trying tho

8)   apart from that, as an older player,  i think shard is great, best one i ever played on and i'v not ben to another since i started playing here