Dreaming Anew

Started by Miri, July 03, 2012, 11:29:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Miri

It is strange to think that this morning I walked through the halls of of my treetop home. It is strange to think that this afternoon I completed the last of the sweetmeats for tomorrows festival. It is strange to think that this evening I curled up in bed next to my husband, my darling Fuegan, and slipped away into a peaceful slumber. These things, of course, are not out of the ordinary. In fact, such was my life before and after the... interruption. Rather, it is strange to think that my normal life could go on in such a manner only for me to awaken here.

I knew as soon as the sunlight kissed my eyelids that something had changed. The first thing I noticed was the smell; it was still of trees and naked earth, but it was subtly different to the scent I was used to. The second thing to bring itself to my attention was the simple fact that I was no longer in my bed. Gone was the softly stuffed mattress, gone were the satin sheets and plump pillows. In their place was the damp undergrowth.

I opened my eyes and peered at my surroundings. There was something eerily familiar about this place, this sleepy woodland hollow and the leaden-limbed sensation I felt as I pushed myself into a seating position. It was all so foreign and yet so familiar, so new but so old. My mind raced with the need for answers. It seemed as if I was trying in vain to remember something half-forgotten, seeking to catch smoke in broken hands. The only thing I knew for certain was that I would learn nothing by remaining on my behind so, weary though I felt, I rose to my feet and began to walk.

I know not how long I traveled. Truth be told, it made little difference to me; I grew no more or less weary as I continued on my way. When I happened across a hanging mage-gate, however, I knew that I had to make a decision. Sooner or later I would grow hungry but I had nothing with which to hunt and none of the trees bore fruit or nuts. Sooner or later I would grow thirsty, but the warmth of the day told me that rain was unlikely and I had yet to come across so much as a small pond. I could continue to wander aimlessly in the hope of finding shelter and sustenance or I could step through the gate and hope that it would take me to somewhere from which I could gain bearings.

Opting for the latter, I suddenly found myself within a settlement of square buildings sculpted largely from sandstone. The architecture looked human in nature, yet more finely crafted than the abodes belonging to that race upon my own world. As I stood there alone between the beach and the buildings a sudden realisation came upon me; I had been here before. Names crept between my lips as faces swirled within the depths of my mind. Damira, the human paragon of order. Izbel, the reluctant assassin. Thane, this world's trickster god, and oh so many more. One stood before all of the others, however. One name, one face, called to me with urgency; Icemere, my second great love.

Could it be? Could this be real, or was it yet another fever dream brought on by the consequences of my infamy? That is what it had been last time, had it not? A dream to ease the way as my body lay dying in my marital bed. If it was not, then I had to find him. There had to be a reason for my return to this dream; could he be it?