Choices made, chances lost.

Started by Blazer Bloodfire, July 04, 2012, 08:02:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blazer Bloodfire

I awoke suddenly, my body sluggish and my mind keening. Where was I? The last thing I remember was being chased, hunted, by the overwhelming army of the Light. That's right, I remind myself, I had chosen to embrace the darkness within me, had chosen to unleash the demon sealed within my soul, and in doing so had lost everything.

The mighty Lich-lord Abraxius had promised many things: Power, wealth, immortality, and for a time those promises had been kept and the forces of darkness had been winning, as well they should have been. Between himself, Shadowstone, and the Cult of Malas, none could stand against Abraxius and his mighty army of Dark Warriors. Nothing was free from their corruption, even the pure and holy magic of chivalry was twisted and made malign, a tool to be used to strike down the very Knights and Paladins that had once been protected by the once holy magic.

I should have known it would not have lasted. Power given by others never does, and it comes with a price far too steep: Freedom. The first sign of the end was one that we all should have seen, but at the time we were too blinded by power to realize. Shadowstone, arguably the greatest and most powerful of us was to be given a great "gift" by Abraxius.  With magic so dark, and so undeniably evil, the man I once had called a comrade was twisted and disfigured into some, some THING. A monster, more cruel and powerful than we could have ever imagined, it tore through warriors both light and dark without so much a single ounce of effort. At the time we saw it as the epitome of what we wanted, and it was only later, that I realized that the thing in front of me was no longer my comrade and fellow warrior in arms, but merely another mindless abomination, a joke really. What use is power, without will and focus to guide it?

The second sign that we had lost was once again ignored. A human, a simpering, weak and pathetic human female by the name of Keely Samphire. I should have been alarmed the moment I felt anything but disgust and hate for such a weak creature, and yet I found myself caring for her. As if it mattered more than another obstacle to strike down, or a toy to torture for fun and amusement. At first I tried to fool myself. "You are only using her to benefit in the war" I said to myself.

And yet I knew that was only a lie I was saying to myself. And not even a good one at that! Love and companionship was becoming more important than what truly should have mattered. All I should have needed was the power to destroy any foe, to crush any and all that dared stand in my way, and yet this was no longer true. My faith in Abraxius and our cause wavered, I found myself missing important meetings, and I started to slowly fall in rank and importance, until finally I disappeared into the abyss.

I left at a time more important than could ever have been imagined, with his control over the demon that had once been Shadowstone gone, and the aura of love and companionship that I had unwittingly brought into the ranks of my fellow demons and dark warriors slowly sapping them of the will to fight, the once powerful army that Abraxius had wielded was easily  decimated by the forces of Light.

I found myself leaving the abyss I had left to, and trying once more to gain favor with my lord, but my feeble excuses and lies were not well received. My absence had other consequences as well, the love I had fostered with the human Keely had withered away and died, and as quickly as it had once sprung into being it had vanished as though it had never existed at all. With no one to warm her bed on the cold winter nights, and no word or explanation for my disappearance, I found myself suddenly barred from both her heart, and our home.

With nowhere left to go, I let my baser instincts take over, murdering innocents and villagers, and living amongst the monsters, in dungeons and caves. When word reached the forces of light of my horrible and terrible acts they quickly went to arms, and I was hunted down and executed like the beast I had become.

Which leaves me here, where ever here is. A meadow, and a being of light saying the words I had heard so long ago, when I was still a naive young paladin.

"Welcome to Sylvan Dreams"

Blazer Bloodfire

Figured I would go into a brief history of my character. If it's well liked I may do another, explained how I once again find myself within sylvan dreams

Ardin

OOC: That was well written my friend and brought back such memories! Welcome back as well!