Hiding when server crashes

Started by Harthus, September 12, 2012, 10:10:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harthus

How about this for a idea. If the server goes down for what ever reason your character returns hidden so that you dont need to worry about dieing before you log on or if you get frustrated and dont want to return for the remainder of the day.

Rei

And I don't know if this is even possible but do a pet check and either stable or temp shrink them for long term downtime.

Foray

I don't think this is realistically possible, I mean if the shard program or host machine crashed this would just lead to a revert to the best most recent save file...which might be before Bob's archer was even ingame (or perhaps when he was in a instant logout area). Or there is a connection blockage and everyone lags or their client locks-up but the shard is running and operating just fine which means a failsafe wouldn't kick in.

I do agree perhaps a fail safe is needed on part of pets that are about to go wild (this can occur as a consequence of a crash based revert).

Harthus

Iris

He may not say what you want to hear but hes usally pretty accurate as to what will work and what wont, and on this subject hes right on target. how ever it would be nice to have a way of making our players safe incase of a crash or shard going down , so keep thinking about it and maybe help to figure out another plan that might work. your suggestions are always wanted just cant always work like you would like them too.

Lucian Darkfire

I know there is a way to make an item decay after so long, would there be a way to make an item that would bring your body to you and everyone got one after a crash, and make it decay after like 15-30 mins. This way if some one did die they could go to an ankh and get resed and then they can use the item to bring their body if need be. Now not everyone after a crash will need these, but thats why they will decay so fast, so people arnt selling them.

ShadowMoon

How about some scripting in login.cs that makes everyone automatically hidden when they login. Not just after a server crash. It wouldnt really be  pain in the butt cause once they move they would be unhidden. But even if you log out in your house when you log back in you would be hidden. I think something like that could be done. But I am not a good enough scriptor to figure that one out anymore.

Foray

What ShadowMoon as suggested would likely be the best course of action for this particular thing, though I think something additional might also be required for pets since they might go on a rampage and force the handler to reveal themselves in order to keep the beast alive. So perhaps some sort of forced pet stable on log out/ log in combined with forced hidden on characters on log in?

Harthus

I think im done brain storming for 2 reasons.
1. i really doubt anything even an amazing idea will be added.
2. I just dont feel encouraged to spend time writing them down.

Cypress

Hmm, I have been thinking about this, but not sure how all the connection stuff works. I'd have to look at it and see if I can do a "force stable" on logout... and also how that might affect dead pets. If I auto res and then stable, that could be exploited. It's a puzzlement, but interesting. The auto-hide might be useful, but what if you are dead which is one of the main concerns? Bringing your body to you with a temp item might work, but that too might be exploited because what if you die, then log out or log out as u see you are about to die just to get the item when you log back in. So, we've another puzzlement.

For now, it's just something to brainstorm on. Thanks all for the thoughts :)