Windows 10 information

Started by Garrick, August 05, 2015, 04:41:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Garrick

With the release of the new Windows OS I wanted to just pop in and say that if you have an existing Sylvan folder on your system when you upgrade it will work (as does Razor) with only a few minor system prompts.  I cannot speak to fresh installs after the upgrade and someone will need to test it to see if it will install properly.

EnigmaMaitreya

Just a precautionary note that I would think NO ONE will fit, IF you do the upgrade, make darn sure you have at least 20GB of disk space free on your system drive.  It took me a while to determine that MS was NOT checking the available disk space.  Running VM's I keep the disk size pretty low, mostly around 32GB.

I run VMWare for Windows Workstation 11.

I run multiple VM's, I upgraded one machine from Windows 7 and one from Windows 8.1.  I also forced a fresh/clean install for Windows 10 from the downloaded .iso.

None of these gave me any issues with running any RunUO directories ... Sylvan was no issue on any of them either.

My own feeling is Windows 10 is not a significant upgrade .... at this time, who knows what it will be like as it evolves though.

Windows 8/8.1 meh your going to be happy and your going to be unhappy.

Windows 7 meh your going to be happy and your going to be unhappy.

For me the only significant point to upgrading to Windows 10 is ... well it is convoluted.  It is a free upgrade for the next year.  Microsoft is saying it is the Last Windows also.  I reply beware of tricky wording by people that think they are the smartest people around.

So on to the convoluted part.  Ok, Microsoft drops support on ... older OS's Windows 7 is certainly going to fall into that category.  Accept it, it will at some NOT to distant future be an unsupported OS.  IF your on Windows 7, my suggestion is simple, give this role out 3 to 4 months to let things settle down.  Then just do it, just hold your nose or what ever and say good by to Windows 7 and upgrade.

IF you are on Windows 8 (and I cant see how anyone can still be on 8), again wait the 3 to 4 months then just do it, just bite the bullet and upgrade.  Microsoft may not obsolete 8 but they sure as heck want to forget it ever existed.

IF your on Windows 8.1 you may be in the most precarious spot of all.  Microsoft policy MAY suggest that your 8.1 will be supported as long as there is no Windows 11 or what ever tricky thing they pull.  Meaning IF your happy with 8.1 then you have the choice to stay there BUT 1 year from now, you will lose the free upgrade capability, according to Microsoft at this time.

My opinion of Windows 10, is there is a lot of crap statements being made about it that my experience with it would say is simply NOT true.  It isnt the upgrade experience that was seen going from Windows Workstation 4.x to XP or Windows 2K to XP.  It is not the upgrade experience of going from XP to Windows 7.  IT is an acceptable (marginally) upgrade and for free that makes it ok.

Now for your own information and NONE of this is to be alarmist or anything negative, it is purely information ... just prior to the W10 role out, Microsoft altered its Software Licensing agreement.  Most of it was just Boilerplate Hyperbole.  BUT there was a significant change to one section.  Unless it has been changed, Microsoft is claiming the right to wipe any system they detect (read as believe or think they can prove) has illegal (read pirated copied etc) software (a distinction from data/information).  While I am some what troubled by this, I am not seeing it as a show stopper.  I assume that if this becomes a problem then the user community will ... respond.

IF anyone wants the procedure to Clean Install Windows 10, then ask here and I can provide a link or you can do a simple google Windows 10 wont install on Virtual Machines because of the Video Display.  Isn't it odd/strange etc., that EVERY supplier of Virtual Machine software EXCEPT Microsoft got FAILED 2 days before the Role Out of Windows 10, EVERY SINGLE SUPPLIER :) Now then if you use the downloadeable .iso to do the upgrade then everything works just fine ... now isn't that just strange :)