UO and Razor for the linux/ubuntu systems

Started by Catrin Shadows, December 17, 2015, 04:28:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Catrin Shadows

Lord Cypress has requested that I make a tutorial for the linux/ubuntu users to be able to play UO and razor. I will try my best to remember everything that I had done to make it possible.

First step: Go into the Ubuntu Software Center or whatever Software center you have then, do a search for PlayOnLinux. (I have found this to be most useful in trying to play because of the following is done in the program.) Let that download and install. Meanwhile Go get Razor and UO. You will need them to install them on PlayOnLinux(which I will abbreviate by POL throughout the post).
Second Step: Once POL is installed, Run the program by doing a search for it in your "start Menu." Once that is opened, click on Install. It then will show a window that has a bunch of stuff that you can install if you have the install files. But UO and Razor are not on that list. So, click on the "install a non-listed program." If the link on the bottom left doesn't show up but a refresh button is there on the bottom then click the refresh and it should be there.
Third Step: Once installed another window will appear asking you to install manually. Just click next in that window.
Fourth step: Install a program in a new virtual drive. Click on that link in the window that popped up. This step here is for creating a win32 or win64 bit virtual drive of the Windows Software. Make sure to name it. I did Win32 for mine but you dont have to. After Clicking next, a screen will show what you want to do before installation. Here you can use another version of Wine (which is the software that originally runs the Windows emulator on Ubuntu/Linux.) If I were you I'd install some libraries but you can also do that later when you configure your virtual drive.
Fifth Step: install the 32 bits windows installation. Most games run in the 32 bit windows operating system, so this is a good choice.

Now wait for the drive to create. If you had checked the box install libraries the wine window will also appear for you to do so. After it's done "thinking," the "Please make your choice" window will appear. (I checked the install box so this is for that."
Here is where a lot of people get confused and are like what the halos is all this? well these are the softwares that you need to run the games in the Wine Window Emulator.

List of Softwares needed to run just about anything in POL:
Directx
Dotnets (get all these if you can if not do Dotnet20 and either 40 or 45)
the D3dx9's
Get "Mono" for wine (it's needed for wine to recognize stuff) get Mono210
Get msvc's
Vcruns
Wininet
winhttp
videodriver
Flashplayer_ActiveX
Install corefonts.

All those should be good for you to run just about anything. If you need something later you can always install it in configure drive.
After all that is done your virtual drive should be created. It will then ask you to browse for the installation file that you had downloaded. Click on browse and find your file. Don't forget to click Next. It will now go into Installation mode. Please follow directions in this setup because you can install your program in a wrong spot and you may not remember where it is. Now the file that it will download to will be a C:\ drive. If you click on browse another window will appear where you can place the file at. I would install it in the POL folder in the My Documents tab. Click on the drive name that you named it and put it in the drive_c and Program files tab. Just make sure that you click on the Programs file folder so it will install there.

Finally Finish the installation. At the end of the Installation, POL will ask if you want to create a shortcut of that program. Click the file razor or UO client icon, name the shortcut. Wait for it to create it and BAM!!! Done!

After creating the virtual windows drive. You can add more files to it. When you install just click on the edit virtual drive and then the check box at the bottom that say "show virtual drive." click on the drive that you had created to install another program.

Hopefully this helps people out if they want to mess with ubuntu or Linux. There are other things you can do like "sudo apt-get install....." or "sudo apt-get update" that all is done in the terminal. I would have to look up more on that because I haven't used it all that much. I really dont even remember what all the commands I used for it as well. So that might come a bit later, depending on if I remember or not  ;D

So Enjoy!! :)