Roleplaying the Virtues

Started by Janzabo, July 01, 2007, 08:19:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Janzabo

Ever since I started playing UO on this server, I have had interest in the virtue system.  It seemed really cool and added a bit of roleplaying flavor to non-evil characters.  So, I decided to kind of have my character center around these virtues.  In particular, she is focusing on compassion, but she also has knowledge of the other virtues.  She's writing books on them which I'm going to ask Eowe to put in the library (already have 1 in there, looking to write about 10 more :) ).  But of course, roleplaying is dull to do solo...that's why I'm looking for a few things.

1) Feedback from players about what they think of this idea. Is it too unoriginal because its part of UO? Is it a good idea? I think it can add to a character's roleplaying aspects and personality, but I want to know what others think.
2) Players who would be interested in pursuing one or more of the virtues for roleplaying purposes.
3) Maybe being able to teach a class at the university on virtues?
4) A little information... UO stratics doesn't list how to gain points in honesty. I'm writing a book about how to gain points in the virtues (in an RP-type format) to inform people who might be interested in it.  But it isn't complete because it only lists 7/8 of the virtues.

Depending on how much feedback I get, I may do more stuff about the virtues.

By the way, if anyone is in the dark about what the virtues are/what they do, you can read them here
http://uo.stratics.com/content/virtues/virtues.shtml

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Cfeor Cait

I can't remember ever hearing any plans to implement a system for honesty in the game, but if you're writing roleplay style guide for the other virtues, then you can write on for honesty as well. You might not be able to 'gain points' in it - but you'd still be guiding people on how to gain trust instead.

Janzabo

Hmm, I thought I had seen screenshots of people with honesty completed in game, but they may have been photo shopped...

Well, it doesn't seem like many people care about the virtues...but whatever.  I'll still continue to play my character as normal.  I just wanted something to share with others.

Kevetsa

Honesty/Humility/Spirituality aren't activated. And I don't think you can use justice in SH anyway.

I for one use virtues. Sacrifice/honor/compassion, have noticed a lack of em in other players though. Except for Thane, who seems to randomly set all of his to full.
Give a man a fire he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire he's warm for the rest of his life.

Kevetsa Kususroth, Smitt, Drahca, Bethariel

Valius

I think sacrifice might be working, I seem to remember using it at one point, and compassion is possibly working as well.

Don't quote me on that though - best way to check it out is to try it out :D