[Question] UO: Kindom Reborn

Started by Amras, July 02, 2007, 03:27:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amras

I dont know if you all know about UO: Kingdom Reborn. But they re-did all the UO graphics and what not.

Check it out if you haven't already. (its a free download)
http://www.uoherald.com/kingdomreborn/before.php

My question is, will Sylvan Support the new UO?
Or is that something in regards to server side?

Misc Info:
QuoteQ: What is Ultima Online: Kingdom Reborn? Just a new client or more?
A: We are re-drawing the graphics and building a new user interface that will be easier-to-use for players new and old. (At the same time, we're working to give long time players UI options that will let them play almost exactly the way they play now.)

We will be polishing and improving some areas of UO game play, but the core sets of rules, systems and content will remain intact.
The idea is to give current, former, and new players a vibrant, thriving world that looks and plays like it's new, that also takes advantage of Ultima Online's nine years of features, content and culture.

Q: Is the new client 2d or 3d?
A: Yes! In a way, it is both. It's a 3D engine that will look and play like a 2D engine, except for some special effects, lighting and other small details.

Our goal was to preserve the look and feel of Ultima Online, while also providing the benefits of a modern graphics engine.

Q: Will we be able to rotate or otherwise change the camera angle?
A: To preserve the charm and feel of Ultima Online, we're re-building the world with highly detailed 2D tiles. This allows us to have the visual detail we want, but does prevent us from creating a rotating camera.

Some pics:

Aderyn

I may or may not be qualified to answer this question, but as I understand it, KR will probably not be supported by Sylvan Heart anytime in the near future. I believe I read elsewhere on the forums that SH is run using SunUO, which is based on RunUO.  RunUO issued a statement on their website that they have no intention of reverse-engineering KR to be supported by RunUO, for various reasons. So, it seems unlikely Sylvan Heart will support KR anytime soon.

I intend to reactivate my OSI account for the sake of checking out the new client, as soon as I get an upgrade to my ancient PC. But I really can't stand the OSI shards anymore, so it'll just be to see what my pets over there look like in the new client. Heh.

Amras

I too will be dusting off my old OSI account just to see what everything looks like.

Alder Ogham

Aderyn is almost right... we don't use SunUO though, we use RunUO.  That said, we use a heavily modified RunUO, so even if RunUO changed their mind and decided to support KR, we wouldn't just be able to use the support.

KR is more 3D than 3D client and we can't even use the 3D client as it's not as customisable.  If you want a true 3D client, check out Iris, as it does not require any extra server code.  It still suffers from the problem that it cannot just "make up" the 2D customisations (3 witches statue, big purple statue, loads of different tiles etc) that we use into 3D.

Valius

I've been playing KR and I can't say that I'm impressed. I doubt it will ever be supported by UOGateway either

Aderyn

Quote from: Alder Ogham on July 02, 2007, 05:32:36 PM
Aderyn is almost right... we don't use SunUO though, we use RunUO. 

Ah. Gotcha. I guess I either misread or misremembered that. *wonders if SunUO even exists or if she imagined it and chuckles*

Valius

Admin Acacia

When Sylvan Heart first came into being, we were running on SunUO.  When we made the move back to a Winders machine, we went back to RunUO.

Never be less than your dreams.

Cpt_Starfox

I believe the SunUO idea came from a post in the wish list area by Admin Alder Ogham:

"If you're gonna download RunUO to play with, do have fun, but don't start sending me whole files to replace.  First of all we do not use RunUO, we use SunUO, which is based on RunUO version 1.  Sending me a huge file that comes from RunUO2 saves me no work at all as I have to look at every line, compare it with every line in our system and work out exactly what it's doing... all-in-all a huge pain in the rear."

Ya... guess that was posted from the old days  ;)

I use RunUO at home for a test server to play around with... I've made quest and new stuff and done some neat things... it is cool.  Being on dial-up tho, there's little chance of me opening an actual shard LOL Plus... it doesn't seem as fun to me to be an admin/player as it is to be just a player on shard I don't know everything about hehe  ;)

However and anyway... cool to hear you use RunUO... maybe sometime I can lend a helping hand   :)

Keevanar

But happens when Sylvan Heart start to use KR whit the customs? ???

Cfeor Cait

Well, since RunUO won't reverse engineer KR, and UOGateway won't be able to support it, I very much doubt that SH will ever go to the KR client.

Amras

I do checked out my ancient OSI account just to try KR and I am not that impressed. Soon after trying, I cancelled my OSI account once again. I am perfectly happy and content with Sylvan Heart. *smiles happily*