Buttercup Chronicles

Started by creampuff, October 08, 2007, 12:39:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

creampuff

((I have started to compile what I call the Buttercup Chronicles: funny name, serious story and if i get good reviews I will continue this. I have the first three books written at my house in the DoE guild town so I'll see how my first book does on the forums...))

Buttercup Chronicles
The Flickering Light

The warm, crackling fire danced in a stone fireplace in a small house. Two red curtains hung on either side of the fireplace with suits of armor placed in front of them. Bookcases and cushioned chairs had been situated in one of the corners of the room while boxes and a chest rested in the opposite corner. A maroon rug stretched across the whole floor, connecting the two opposite areas and bringing the focus back to the bright fire with a few wooden chairs snuggled around it.
   The fire light flickered across the room and cast dark shadows in parts of the area. The glow was not as harsh on the female figure sitting casually in one of the wooden seats. She had short black hair and wore a green dress with lovely embroidery on it. Her skin was white as snow but in the warming light of the fire, it was barely noticeable. What was noticeable was her face, beautiful in many aspects with smooth skin and two bright emerald eyes but her expression was troubled. Her eye brows creased down and a deep frown was on her lips. Her jade colored eyes watched the fire intently, sometimes following a wisp of flame reach up towards the stone before it had to flicker back down. All the while she watched, the clock ticked endlessly on its place on the wall. It ticked away every second and minute, its hands constantly moving at a steady, unending rate.
   Suddenly, a sound that came neither from the fire or clock resounded throughout the house. It caused the woman to jump at the loud bang and whirl her head towards the door behind her. A fright rose in her and she glanced to the sword beside her. With a shaking hand, she lifted her weapon and stood on uneasy legs. She inched towards the door and froze with her hand on the door knob. Her heart was beating wildly and she couldn't make her legs stop quivering. An uneasy breath entered her lips and she pulled the door opened slowly. Her eyes widened and her mouth opened, releasing a scream of horror that abruptly ended when a darkness came in and surrounded her.

Wintermoon

Very interesting, can't imagine the unease she must of felt with someone or something lurking in the shadows.. what do they want ? why are they there ? hopefully she wakes with not but just a small bump on her head..and where will she be ?  .....  I think I need to read more .... :0)  Sounds like a start of a good tale , do tell more  ;)

creampuff

In Two Day's Time

It had happened two days ago. Buttercup was returning from a hunt with her good friend Hawke. They had been hunting dragons again and Buttercup was physically exhausted but extremely happy since she had spent time with her friend which had become a rare occurrence as of last because her busy schedule. She was humming as she trotted up her stairs and smiled up at her fall tree that covered her wooden well. She couldn't count how many fond memories she had had since coming to this land about two months ago. She had made really good friends and was in a very helpful guild. A pleasant sigh slipped through her lips as she turned towards her door.
Buttercup froze. A dark parchment hung on her door with a knife stabbed through it. The warrior glanced around quickly but whoever had put it there had done it a while ago for there was no trace of anyone near. She walked forward warily and yanked the knife out of her door and grabbed the folded paper. Consciously, she told herself it was probably a note left by a friend and opened it:
I have need of your services Buttercup. In two days time I will come get you. Do not warn your friends of this or refuse to come. If you do either of these things, your friends will be harmed.
Both the parchment and knife suddenly dissolved.
Leaving Buttercup feeling frightened, helpless, and alone.

creampuff

Nightmare

Drip, drip, drip.
The sound was eerie. Normally the sound of water was calming to Buttercup but this sound echoed and seemed to have a strange ominous droll to it. That was what awoke her to her nightmare. The air felt damp and reeked of an odor she preferred not to know the origin of. Her eyes fluttered open and peered into the darkness, discerning only a few things. Her wrists were clamped with metal cuffs that held her up against the wall her back was against. There was a table before her and in the faint light of a candle off in an adjacent hallway, she could see blood smeared weapons littered all over the table.
Buttercup tried to swallow but found her throat was too dry, even for that. She was cold and scared. Her mind would not function as she hung from the chains, numb to the situation she was in. She should try and find a way to get free. She should try yelling for help. She should try SOMETHING, but she couldn't and for the longest time, she didn't know why. Then she remembered. It was for her friends. If she escaped, they would be harmed. She would cause those dear to her pain and she could not bear to see that happen.
A light came from one of the hallways and gradually became brighter. Buttercup squinted when the figure holding the light came close but their face stayed far enough away from the light that only the faint outline of a face could be distinguished.
"Hello Buttercup." The voice dripped with unearthly evil and she could just hear the smirk in his tone. "Welcome to your nightmare."