Departure (Abraxius Storyline)

Started by Damira, July 28, 2006, 12:28:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Damira

The last rays of sun passing over Trinsic Mountain were the only thing keeping the golden brown city lively at this time of the day, and were stretching Damira’s shadow to exaggerate proportions on the city walls as she walked on the paved streets. She was still thinking about everything, still sleepless. Had she made the good decision?

She had left the empire this very day. She didn’t wait for the Emperor to return from his campaign. She couldn’t. It had been hard enough to announce to the ones trusted her that she had cheated them, to tell his liege would have been unbearable at the moment. And that was making her feel weak. But no one could understand it.

She left her newly built house to take a walk outside the town. The guards had spotted some ogres roaming near. She was going to kill them. Even if no attack had been reported yet.

The Trinsic forest under the sunset always had a creepy look, like it was dying every night, to come back to life during the day. But for now the leaves were deep black. Damira entered deep within the forest, still thinking about the recent days. Was it greed that made her lose her holy powers? Or the fact that she knew the emperor wouldn’t want to stop the war until it is won? “I’m not a holy warrior anymore,” she thought. “Soon people will stop talking about me, and I will be forgotten.”

Her powers had stopped working. She didn’t know how or why, but her recent prayers went unanswered. “I can’t be a queen if I my own powers don’t obey me”, she had told her friends when she announced her departure. “How can I be a paladin queen if I am no paladin?” It was saddening her to do that. But she was right. She was no longer a paladin. She was a failure. And failures didn’t deserve friends like she had.

Damira changed her mind. Instead of hunting for the ogres, she summoned her unicorn and rode her. Shayna ran as fast as she could, and even so Damira was pushing her even further. Tears were running down the lady’s cheek, and she couldn’t stop thinking about all that was happening to her. Everything she wanted to forget. That’s why she was going so fast, and wanted to go even faster. Shayna tried to accelerate, but tripped on a root, and Damira fell all the way down a hill, before her fall was stopped by a tree. She stayed there, half-conscious, and fell asleep, on the forest ground.

Nobody came for her. She didn’t deserve it anyways. She stayed there all night. But at least while lying on the dirt, she was not thinking about anything.

Damira

Damira woke up. She didn’t know how much time had passed, but it was night. She was still in Trinsic forest, and had a great pain in the back. She summoned Shayna while rubbing it. She had to go see her father. He would advise her wisely.

As soon as she entered Market Vale territory, the young lady heard noises of battle of going on. She made Shayna go faster, to arrive at a scene where Valorian the elf, and Shakka the drow, fight against demons. Watching all of this was the cult, led by Shadow Stone, and Abraxius, the Dark Lord.

Damira’s heart skipped a beat, as she charged toward them. “No, not here,” she thought. “Anywhere but Market Vale.”

The eyes turned towards her, as she got off Shayna. Amongst the eyes were those of the lich, and it was them that Damira looked at.

“Remove your beasts from here,” said Damira with a determined voice. “Then leave, you have nothing to do here.” Despite the cultist’s laughs, she was still serious.

Shibo

The vendor had some new seeds for her growing collection. Just when she was ready to leave, a mounted man hurried beside her. Curious as always, and sensing something amiss, Shibo went after him. "Oh, no" she thought, "Cult of Malas members. What are they doing here?". One of them, Najaal, she could remember from the battle of Trinsic. The other one she didn't recognize, but the dark robes and his words clairly marked him as a follower of the cult. They were arguing with the man she followed and a citizen of the city.

Suddenly, a request to go to the Guild Hall came forward. "This communication stones are really helpful, but, ¿has to be now?" Shibo thought while she watched quietly. "Sounds pretty important and urgent... but I don't want to leave...". A second message was received. "You must go" a little voice within her said. Turning her llama around twice with some indecision, she departed.

Bad news awaited her. Queen Damira was stepping down, renouncing her title and the guild. "..what?... why?... when...?" A lot of questions and feelings overwhelmed her. No, she did not understand, but her confidence in Damira made her sure that there was a very good reason for this. Forcing herself to speak, all she could do was wishing the light to be with her.

Some minutes later, she was riding back to Market Vale. "I really admire Damira, I wish I could do something to help her. But, if she needs to be alone, then..." A familiar voice brought a smile to her face, only to be washed away with the sight of Abraxius. There they were, Damira and the lich. They were facing each other, gravely. Shibo rode to stand behind her formely Queen, but the words spoken between Damira and the Lord of Darkness weren't what she expected to be. "D... Damira?" she asked, with no answer.

A few moments later, the lich was gone... and so was the Queen.

Fangedwolf

How long had he spent lately trying to track down the information his Lord requested, but to no avail it seemed.  Each day he went out searching, and though it seemed new followers were flocking to their cause, none of them carried with them the information he sought. 

He had been pleased when he had worked out the cause of his Master's disquiet lately, the reason behind it, and he had placed the information in his Lord's hands, but an end to that was not yet seen.  Not yet, but soon, he hoped, soon. With a frustrated sound he cast off the illusions that surrounded him and stood in the form few rarely ever saw, and fewer still lived or existed to tell the tale.  Dark eyes burned with a determination as he paced around his room, the soft folds of his robe flowing either side of his form, so light they appeared almost etherial, just as it should be.  The power of the dead was, after all, woven in the cloth.

The events of the last few days, the apparent demise of his Lord at the hands of the invaders had not bothered him so much as the fact they had gotten past the defences around the keep and got into his Lords workroom and domain.  If only he could have gotten his Master to listen when he had wished for the porter to be sealed to avoid such a thing, but it was done now.  His anger at the upstarts was still there, smouldering underneath the surface and in a rare gesture of irritation the circle of power flared up, flames burning high in the room.  Najaal walked on, untouched by them.  He had known his Lord was not dead.  Did they really think it would be so easy?  Yes, apparently they did.

Moving over to his chair, he sank down into the velvet cushion there, his eyes closing over.  He needed to find a way to weaken the other side more significantly.  There were debts to be paid, and he intended on extracting that payment in full.  Here in his place of power, he could feel the general consciousness of his Master hovering at the edges of his thoughts, while at other times it was still there but the circumstances around him kept the awareness of that other being quietened so he didnt feel it.  He could feel it now however, and he let his thoughts sharpen, sharing his memories, insights, concerns and plans with the Dark Lord with a more direct clarity.

Yes, something had to be done about Damira.  She was weaker now.  He had searched her out in the night when she slept and there was something different about her, something weaker.  It might be something they could tap into, something that could be used to their advantage.  His thought slipped to several of those whose actions had stood against the Dark Lord, or who had slighted him reciently, his considerations resting on Rease.  Yes, the man had been foolish in his decision to go to war after the generous offer.  He should know suffering for what he had done, some comeback to his foolhardy choice.

Time moved on and the next day he was out and about, hunting and picking up the occasional chests when he heard his Masters voice and presence spread accross the land.  He let his thoughts concentrate on his Master and picked up some hints of what he planned.  A slow devious smile slid accross his lips.  Yes, that was perfect.  Oh how they would squirm knowing they had lost what was most precious to them.

He left what he was doing and came to his Masters call, coming to his side, along with the reassuring presence of ShadowStone.  The other would know that glint in Najaal's eyes, know him well enough to realise something was happening, something good for their side.

And so began the game, and they watched as Lord Abraxius set to deciding what land to crush next.  A few voices spoke out against him, but they were useless. Who after all could stand against the Dark Lord and win?  How convenient that the location He chose just happened to be the one place that not only had slighted them, but also was the residential area of Damira's very own father.  What better threat to call the 'Paladin Queen' to the bargaining table?

Only two really stood against them as they lingered outside Rease's tavern.  Amusing to see a drow and an elf working for the same cause, but such inconsistancies were in life he guessed.  Najaal sat upon his horse leisurely as the two made useless threats against his Master.  They waited, letting the drow and elf play with some of the Dark Lord's creatures until finally the prey took the bait.

Damira walked in, her armour gleaming in the sunlight and he watched her with those sharp dark eyes, his acute mental senses picking up that weakness from her again, picked it up because he was looking for it as others were not.  She would take the bait, he could feel it.  What better a threat than the destruction and corruption of Marketvale.  He suppressed a smile as the game began in earnest, and the Paladin Queen signed her freedom away.

It was so easy.  So terribly easy to work the conversation around to getting what they wanted.  She couldnt stop legions of Lord Abraxius from consuming the town she loved so much with her own brawn, something she was used to using.  Her battle at Trinsic, a good test of her tactics, had shown that.  What else did she have to bargain with?  He knew she would want to, that honor and goodness in her made her want to stop the destruction.  She was brash and foolish in some ways, and naieve. 

He felt a desire to grin that was hard to suppress as she ignored those around her and agreed to the Dark Lords terms.  He would remove his minions from MarketVale, the town she loved so much, and would leave the people of MarketVale alone forever, if she served him.

How perfect, how utterly perfect that she martyr herself for this small community, a community that held what.. fifteen people? Giving her life to a cause that would cause so much more destruction, even by her very own hand.  There was a part of him that wanted to berate her for such foolhardiness, but why bother, for she was doing what was in his Lord's best interests.  She would learn the consequences of her actions soon enough.

He allowed himself a quiet smile as she agreed, the Elf Valorien powerless to stop the bargain that had just taken place, none of his own strength could stop it now.  She had just signed her life, her very soul away to the Dark Lord.

Lord Abraxius' words rung in the air "This place means nothing to me.  Nothing!" his laughter lingering in the air as they dissapeared.

And so Damira, oathbound to serve Lord Abraxius could only follow under the watchful eyes of the High Priest and the Commander of the Dark Lords armies as she took the black robe and slipped it on.  "Welcome to the Cult of Malas, Damira" came the quiet voice of the High Priest.

Damira

"The sky is as blue from here as it is from anywhere else." But no word could have made Damira feel better that night. Her new room at Najaal’s place was not totally comfortable, but it sure could have been worse. She preferred being on the balcony.

The funny thing was that no one was watching her. She could have fled at any time. But she sure would have liked the consequences if she would have had.

She was sharpening her blades. She had blades for multiple occasions. For different kinds of enemies. For different killing results. “And there I always thought I was a good person. I’m a murderer. Just like they are.” That’s probably why she had lost her powers. And her friends.

“Please don’t hate me. I couldn’t do otherwise.” They probably wouldn’t understand. But maybe Rease. She began to hope that the message she had sent him through her unicorn had reached him. “Rease, you above all else, please understand me. I need to know you don’t hate me more today than yesterday.”

She left her weapons to lean on the balcony ramp, to watch the landscape. “Najaal sure has a taste for locations.” She had known him in Lakeshire, the calm village. She always saw him like someone very obscure, but well mannered. He had always been nice to her or to her father, waving at her while she was passing by his friend’s house.

But then she had seen him at Abraxius’ side, in Zhento. It had been like he had betrayed her. She had treated him like he was nothing. “Why is he being nice to me now, after what I told him?” It was like he had forgotten all she had said. But he still was obscure. He still looked like he was constantly analyzing everything and everyone.

Damira could deal with that. She was grateful to him. As she would have to serve the Cult of Malas for a really long time, she was happy to be at least with one person that would respect her. The others would probably torture her mentally the best they could. She was living the first day of her new, infernal life.

“I must not think like that.” She dismissed those negative thoughts as fast as they had came. “I’m not a victim. I won’t let anyone walk on my toes, friends or foes. Or unlikely allies”.

Damira looked at the sky one more time. She was determined to prove to the cultist that, even if she was forced into serving them, they had better not think they were superior to her. She was strong, and strong people were not the victims of the weaker ones.

Her thoughts went interrupted as the door to the balcony opened, revealing her host, the obscure, and ever thoughtful Najaal.

Fangedwolf

He had been sitting in his workroom, unseen as Damira had passed him to go out onto the balcony outside.  Her thoughts were troubled, sending ripples of emotion into the air like colours that surrounded her to his minds eye, flashes of words or images he could tell for they were like murmurs in a room, trasmitted to the surrounding such was their strength along with her true whispers that his sharp hearing could pick up even through the closed door. 

Soon enough he rose as her thoughts turned more determined and less woeful.  He couldnt stand that in people, that pitifulness, His steps were quiet but he knew she heard him, her fighters instincts not letting her down.  He inclined his head towards her before stepping into the evening air more fully, the soft fabric of the cloth making no sound as he moved.  SIlent for long moments, he let his gaze cast over the star studded waters of the sea before them, the moonlight offering pale highlight to his black-clad form.

It was several minutes before he spoke, his gaze merely staring out at the ocean, the sound of it lapping at the cliffs below perfect counterpart to the otherwise still night.  "Its been a while since we've talked" he said, his voice quiet, yet perfectly clear none the less.  He turned around to look at her, not seeming worried that she might attack him, his posture and expression perfectly calm.

"Placed in circumstances beyond our control, we both end up at the same destination" he smiled softly, irony showing.  "Perhaps now you gain a little insight into how things can be, how decisions are not really decisions for people at all.  You made the same choice I did, but for different reasons."

His gaze moves to the weapon in her hand, the glimmer of light upon it, before returning his gaze to her, unmoved.  "You have hated us for a long time.  Now you must learn to work with us.  No matter what you have thought in the past, the people here are the ones that you will fight alongside and cover your back, and you will need them." his sharp gaze watches her, watches her with that intensity that seems as if he is looking right into her very soul "You are not as you once were Damira.  A part of you has gone and that leaves you weakened.  In time you will overcome this, the wound will heal, but for now I highly suggest you take the aid that is offered you, because pigheadedness in this matter will only get you killed, and believe me when I say... you really dont want that to happen."

Damira

Damira looked at her new ally coldly. She didn't want to look weak to him. She didn't want to look weak to any of the Cult. But especially Najaal. So she replied with that attitude in mind.

"Not a lot can kill me, even if I'm all alone." She smiled, before to add:
"What I wonder, is how much I could trust any of the cultists, since most of them joined for power. How can I be sure that one of you would protect my back, instead of running for his life?"

She made a pause to let Najaal ponder on what she just said. She thought: "I know you will give me an answer to that, Najaal, but will you believe what you say yourslef".

Fangedwolf

"And tell me Damira," he said as he stepped towards her, his movement a practiced glide that almost seemed to defly the laws of the living "how many of us did you see running when you greatly outnumbered us at Trinsic.  How many of us did you see running away from Zhento?" 

He smiled as he came up towards her, near intimately close, his voice near a whisper "How do you think He, who has command over the living and the dead, would react to such a thing?  How long do you think the eternity would be that we would have to suffer if he finds displeasure with our actions?"  He smiled, and it was a knowing deadly smile  "You dont get it yet do you Damira.. there is no peaceful death for us, no release from the binding he has around our souls.  We work together not merely for the power, but because He demands it.  And maybe.. just maybe we are not so selfish as you would think us being."

He turned and moved away from her, moved back to the doors that led to his workroom, pausing there, his gaze turning back towards her, watching her for a moment before saying "Go and get some sleep Damira, you will find that it is a very rare commodity in these times." and with that he was gone, his silent steps taking him into his workroom, where, when she came through to find her own sleeping accomodation, there would be no sign of him.

Alaric McCree

::he has spent many days and nights working steadily to locate that which was taken and he has grown very close to success. As he sits at his desk his mind, as usual, is also partially moving about, catching bits and pieces of conversations all around. Upon hearing the words passing between his high priest and his newest servant he pauses.::

::as he listens he considers the recent events. He is quite pleased to have gained the female warrior even if it was an act done to save others and not due to a real desire to serve him. It mattered not, all that mattered was that she was now serving him. Hearing Najaal's words about death and how it should be avoided he laughs for he knows Najaal is aware of what may lay in store for any who fail, or fall.::

::he glances over to his newest construction:: Soon I will send you after it.    ::the emotionless creation just stares back at him::

::his attention returns once more to Najaal and Damira and as they conclude their discussion the last thing either of them hears is the distinctively evil laugh of Abraxius::
Sometimes the dragon wins, that's why there is such a shortage of white knights.

Miri

Minerva watched the sun set over the mountains, her eyes narrowed and thoughts awhirl.  This was one of the few sunsets she had not spent with her husband and she found that she missed him more and more as the sun sank.  He was out doing something or other, and she knew it must be important or else he would be here at her side, but that did nothing to waylay her feelings of loss.

She spun on her heel and strode into the empty bedroom, her movements as breathtakingly graceful and self assured as they had always been.  There was nothing out on the balcony for her that evening.  Standing there without Urian just did not feel right.

It took but a moment for her to conjure a goblet and fill it with the berry wine that her husband insisted on keeping in one of the cabinets.  She then seated herself on the bed to think.

Whatever direction she took her mind in, her thoughts kept returning to the paladin queen: the human lady who had given up so much in the defense of others.  She wondered if the courageous lady even realised just how great a deed she had done, if the young queen understood just how pure was her own heart.

The unspoken questions caused a grim smile to cross Minerva's usually serene features and suddenly the pixie knew that any thanks that were owed could not wait.

She closed her emerald eyes and let her mind wander.  She had tasted Damira's power when the girl had restored life to Minervas cage.  Trapped within though she would remain until Urian released her once and for all, Minerva could still feel and follow the trail of anothers magic and it was this that she did.

There....

In her minds eye, Minerva could see the golden haired human standing alone in a small bedchamber.  Alone was good.  Alone meant that no other could interfere, or even know if she were careful...

It took but the space of a thought for the Pixie Queen to send a projection of herself to that place, to have an illusion of her elven form appear before the surprised paladin.

'You look well,' Minerva said quietly, using the moment of Damira's shock to look her up and down.  'Your back is straight, your head held high.  Good.'

'How...?'

'You made this possible,' Minerva smiled.  'When you healed me.  Thank you, Damira.  You gave me the strength I needed to find the answers.  Because of your sacrifice, my daughter is free to feed once more and soon I shall be too.  What you gave up has given me more than you know.'

'What I gave up?' Damira asked in confusion.

'Indeed,' Minerva replied.  'I have no doubt that you have noticed your powers are diminished.  That is what you gave to me, Damira.  Your power.  The magics you hold within, the very thing that makes you a paladin.  You gave that freely to save my life.  And now,' she continued, her sharp gaze picking up on Damira's subtle shock.  'You wonder if you will ever regain it.  The answer, child, is yes.  In time it will come back to you as strong, if not stronger, than it has always been.
'I heard of what you did, the choice you made and I must say, you surprise me.  It is not often a person would choose to give themselves to their enemies for the sake of love.  For what it is worth, you have shown me something I never thought to see: a selfless human with enough courage and regard for those around her to be worthy in anyones eyes, even my own.
'You have chosen a hard path to follow,' she said gently, sympathy and understanding strong in her quiet words.  'It will be long and difficult.  There are two things you should know that may help you on this journey.  The first is that the path will eventually come to an end, however long or far away it seems.  Do not despair and do not give up.  The second is that you have impressed me with your actions.  Should you have need, call my name and I will come.'

With that, Minerva allowed her image to dissolve and brought her mind back to the body she currently inhabited.

She would not take part in the war, but she would help and support that lady in any way she could.

Loco Moco

The night was dark and morning was coming soon. A dark figure trod through the darken woods. His journey far from home would take weeks before coming back. He left in the heat of battle to seek peace. Although he new he would leave his comrades in the dark, his life was consumed by war and death.

The figure stopped at the nearest tavern and order a drink.

"I've own this tavern for 6 years, but I've yet to see a dwarf come by," said the bartender has the figure walked in.
"What's the word in the land?" the figure asked the bartender.
"These are dark times to ask such news, but what I have heard, the Sosarien Empire has taken a major blow to the heart," replied the bartender.
The figure's eyes flashed, "what has happened?" he fiercely asked.
"No need to be angry, but the Paladin Queen has supposedly given her soul to Abraxius."
The figure falls back to his chair and let's his head droop.
"How could she betray me? How?" he whispered.
"What was that?" the bartender asked.
"Nothing. Get me a pack of food and a waterskin of wine."
"Yes milord."

As the figured walked out the door, the bartender saw a glimpse behind the dwarf's cloak, blue hair and a bright blue cape. The bartender smirked as he knew who the man was.

As the stable boy retrieved the figures mount, the figure was troubled by the news he had heard. He quickly mounted his pony and gave the boy a tip. As the figure rode out, the stable boy faintly hear the dwarf say, "I've been gone for too long." The boy stared at the dwarf as he rode off. As he watched, the figures black cloak had fallen off and the boy was blinded by a shining blue light.